Left Lane of the Highway

Options
thanos5
thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
edited March 2019 in Chit-Chat
Do you consider the left lane of the highway (US) to be the passing lane, the fast lane, or just a regular ol' lane?

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you live.

In Texas it's Pass only.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Passing
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    Passing lane
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If there is more than one lane, slower traffic definitely should stay right.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Fast lane
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I should add, I don’t live in the US so I only know what it’s like where I visit frequently.
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    If you're not passing stay yo lane - yo lane being the above mentioned left lane

ETA - sheesh right lane - right lane is yo lane excuse the mistake
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »
    Do you consider the left lane of the highway (US) to be the passing lane, the fast lane, or just a regular ol' lane?

Definitely passing lane. I hate when I’m driving and I hate someone just cruising under the speed limit in that lane.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Nobody where I’m from follows that law. Not like the cops pull you over for that, but they’re quick to pull you over for anything else.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Passing lane. You will get pulled over here if you are cruising in the left lane and impeding traffic as it provides for unsafe driving conditions.

• RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It's supposed to be a passing lane here as well, but most people use it as a fast lane, and a few others use it for a leisurely "Sunday drive" lane.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Passing lane. However, any male I've ever driven with is of the understanding that the right lane is for those driving up to and including the speed limit, the left lane is for those who want to drive above the speed limit. They refer to it as the "race lane".
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Fast lane, but if I'm in it and someone faster is behind me, I get out of their way.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Driving on the freeway here in Arizona, it's slowly swerve around the left lane, with one's left turn-signal permanently set, with the cruise control rooted to an unwavering Thirteen Miles Per Hour.

A poof of blue hair and age-spotted, candy grabbers firmly planted at ten & two on the steering wheel are the only things visible over the headrest.

• Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    Fast lane, but if I'm in it and someone faster is behind me, I get out of their way.

Me too - just good manners yo
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I think of it as both, fast and pass.

What I dont think is a "pass or fast" is the left 'lane' (the middle coming up to a left turn lane with solid yellow lines before the actual left turn lane starts, (with broken dashes)) that so many mother-*kitten* idiots drive up in on my way to work making it terrifying to pull into the actual lane when I'm ahead of them trying to obey the rules while they speed up behind me in the 'no drive' designated portion of the road
  • FaabLife4
    FaabLife4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Passing.....i drive a dump truck for a living, so I see that majority of people do not know how to drive. I'm not even going to get started. Lol 🤣🤣🤣