Thoughts on these protein cookies?

Options
Hey

My local Wegmans sells a box of these for $9.00
Its a great deal for 12..so I picked them up for a quick on the go option when im away from home
They taste really good..I track my cals and try to eat clean (ish) but I dont log in grams of protein etc
I just looked at the nutritional info and saw the trans fat 4.5 or 23%?!

https://buffbake.com/collections/soft-baked-protein-cookies/products/birthday-cake-soft-baked-protein-cookie-gluten-free-non-gmo-kosher-high-protein-high-fiber?variant=12871711424535

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1531/0121/files/birthday_cake_large.png?v=1552502369yvu6lkeeala0.png
thoughts?
thanks kim

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    They would have to taste really good for me to think they're worth it, given that the protein per calorie ratio isn't as good as many protein bars. If you enjoy them as a dessert or snack, then you should eat them, but if you're just looking for more protein, there are better options.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    300 calories for 1 cookie is a lot, too. Unless the sucker is HUGE!
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Ive made that mistake before..LOL
    they are pretty good and a decent size.filling
    so I will keep as an option when traveling...running errands w out time to prepare a snack to take on the go etc
    glassyo wrote: »

At least it's only one servubg and not 2 servings per package. :)

• kimber0607
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    They would have to taste really good for me to think they're worth it, given that the protein per calorie ratio isn't as good as many protein bars. If you enjoy them as a dessert or snack, then you should eat them, but if you're just looking for more protein, there are better options.

Thanks for the feedback
    can you list some protein bar options?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's a fiber win! I'm impressed! B)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have no favourites. I cruise the bargain shelves at my grocery and pharmacy.

I line up the nutrition profiles and look at the protein and the total calorie count.

If protein is the goal, line up your choices and pick the one with the highest protein.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Second the Quest bars. They taste like dessert, too.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't know about this. They're about the same calories as regular cookies. 10 grams of extra protein is not worth it to me and I personally don't have any problems hitting and exceeding my fiber. I would rather eat cookies I know I like and just eat a little bit extra chicken/tuna. They're also more expensive, no doubt.

With that said, it's about you and your taste buds. If you believe they taste equally as good as any other cookies you like, go for it!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I only eat "protein cookies" as a dessert replacement rather than a protein supplement, because as others have said, their protein-to-calorie ratio is fairly poor. I like them for desserts/treats because they fill me up more than a regular cookie of that size/calorie level would. :) I really like the ONE protein bars (I've seen them called Oh Yeah! ONE here on MFP but the labels on the bars I find just say ONE) and Quest bars for protein supplements, but I always microwave the Quest bars for a few seconds because otherwise I dislike the texture.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Went thru a hardcore Lenny + Larry’s protein cookie phase a few years back. They are delicious, but at the end of the day, these things are all basically cookies with added protein.
    Cookies can be fit into a diet that meets your goals.
    Protein is important regardless.
    Cookies with protein, therefore, can be a delicious treat with a boost of protein.

Second the quest bars recommend if protein/cal ratio in a sweet vehicle is the primary goal. They are little sweet bricks of chewiness. Better than most of the glorified candy bar ‘nutrition bar’ options and have decent fiber too.

RX bars if the primary goal is eating real foods that also boost protein.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

At least it's only one servubg and not 2 servings per package. :)

I found that out the hard way several years ago. I'm looking at you, Poptarts! :s
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Just a thought.... make your own. You can sub up to 1/3 of flour with a whey casein blend and subtract the sweetner.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You know, it's just whey protein when you look at the ingredients. There's gotta be a good recipe somewhere to make these yourself, and you could probably make them relatively low calorie. The sugars and sprinkles alone here probably add 100 calories. My protein supplier sells flavourless powder, maybe I should look into it.
  • kimber0607
    Options
    Thanks all! I appreciate and read all the. feedback and suggestions.
    I have had Quest bars in the past as well as the ONE bars (so yummy but pricey)

thanks again!
    kim
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    kimber0607 wrote: »
    Thanks all! I appreciate and read all the. feedback and suggestions.
    I have had Quest bars in the past as well as the ONE bars (so yummy but pricey)

thanks again!
    kim

If you have a flavor of bars that you like enough to buy a dozen, you can subscribe to some varieties on Amazon at a discount. I subscribe to Quest bars.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're looking for. For 16 g of protein I'd rather have 170 g of plain greek yogurt (90 calories) and then spend 210 calories on something else - maybe 3 Ghiradelli dark chocolate-caramel-sea salt squares or 2 slices of Dave Killer Bread thins with a tablespoon of Stonewall champagne strawberry jam. It's personal taste really.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree there are better choices. Even the weight watcher giant fudge bar is only 90 cals