C-Reactive Protein, cholesterol, gut bacteria

Options
kizanne2
kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
edited March 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I've started this thread to document my diatary /lifestyle changes to try an impact my blood chemistry and gut bacteria. I did not eat alot of non-healthy foods before but had gotten off the path.

I am and have been overweight for a long time. After my child was born close to 21 years ago I was 206 pounds and have since been between 190 and 210 for those 21 years. I am currently 208-210 depends on the day and this is more then usual.

My last check up my blood work looked like this
C-reactive protein 8.4
total cholesterol 189
triglycerides 217
HDL cholesterol 34
VLDL 43
LDL 112
ratio 5.6

Also my fasting sugar was borderline.
Before when my numbers got out of wack they wanted to put me on statins. I instead brought them way down with diet and exercise. The new wrinkle is the C-reactive protein.

So I've set about controlling this with diet. I will hopefully be adding in some exercise but I have been having foot problems.

I'll be retesting my blood in about 5 weeks. I'll post the results when they come in.

In the beginning, I'll be eating the following and then after a while I'll be changing so reduce calories and increase variety.

breakfast
overnight oats made with 1/2 cup of raw uncooked oats
1/2 cup of raw milk
2 tbs flax
7 grams walnuts
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup of blueberries
1 cup raw milk

Lunch
Large salad with arugala, spinach, baby greens
onion regular and pickled
cucumber
avacado
pico de gallo
sliced white chicken
apple
1 cup raw milk

Dinner
1 cup raw milk
16 oz komboucha
100 gram roast chicken
1/2 cup of onion
1/2 cup black bean
1 small square dark chocolate (70% or more)

Optional snack
1 oz samis chips for fiber
Matcha tea
lots of water
bubbies pickles, saurkraut

I'll keep you posted and be happy to answer any questions. All of the food was chosen for a reason.

I don't really need the neysayers.

Replies

• imslinky
    imslinky Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    As a med lab tech in training, I got excited when I saw your values-oops! Anyways, this diet has many good ‘anti-inflammatory’ foods so I’m excited to see your C-reactive protein levels in a few weeks. I’m rooting for you! :smiley:
  • kizanne2
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I am interested to see if adding antioxidant rich foods to your diet will any have effect on CRP.

I am a big believer in the benefits of antioxidants in food. I have had a few patients with auto immune diseases swear by a high anti-oxidant diet.

Yes I'm most concerned with the CRP value and I'm hoping the antioxidants as well as the anti-imflammatory foods will help bring this down. I'm also trying to get more sleep as well to improve this number.

AJ_G wrote: »
    If you look at individual foods as healthy or unhealthy, that is an extremely flawed way of approaching nutrition, and honestly leads you down a path of developing an unhealthy relationship with food.

..and at the end of the day it's more important to pick a diet that you can stick to and helps you create a calorie deficit that gets you to a healthy weight, ....

Yes except I'm not trying to lose weight. It would be welcome but that isn't the goal. There is loads of medical information that links diet and blood chemistry. That why they have diets specifically for people with high cholesterol. I'm simply extending it to CRP as well.

Once I get my blood chemistry back in order I'll work on reducing calories to achieve weigh loss.

I already feel some better my hands and feet have been having pain for a while. My one foot I think has a bone spur the other foot and my hands are a lot less achy.

imslinky wrote: »
    As a med lab tech in training, I got excited when I saw your values-oops! Anyways, this diet has many good ‘anti-inflammatory’ foods so I’m excited to see your C-reactive protein levels in a few weeks. I’m rooting for you! :smiley:

Yeah opps is right. I have tackled lipid panel before with lots of success but this is my first stab at CRP. As you know they claim a few weeks isn't enough time to see significant changes but last time I was able to reduce the Cholesterol by 50 points in 4 weeks so we shall see.

• josette06
    josette06 Posts: 119 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    imslinky wrote: »

Hi, future labbie! 😉 [blood banker turned LIS]
  • kizanne2
    edited March 2019
    Options
    First week went well.

I'm am pleasantly surprised that I'm not having hunger issues. Most diets other than atkins gives me hunger issues. I am also happy that I don't seem to be having any cravings. I started the first day with about 1800 calories the daily amount recommended by MyFitness Pal for weight maintainence. After several days as I found that I wasn't as hungry I cut back calories and am now taking in from 1300 to 1500 / day. I cut the lunch milk. 1/2 cup of blueberries and somedays I don't have the millet and flax chips. Some days I cut dinner if I wasn't hungry or ate lunch late.

This week I'm going to have to change something up as I can't go out for lunch and we'll see if I make a big salad at 5:30 am each day (or the night before). I think I'll switch the chicken and beans to lunch and make it a curry (tumeric, ginger garlic) or chili. Save the salad for dinner.

My bowels have improved. My hands and feet ache less (a recent development that seems to be in retreat except for the area where there is a possible bone spur).

I managed several light exercises from strength training, stationary bike, squats. Last week was easy because I was on spring break this week we will see how things go. I normally get between 6000 and 10,000 steps a day in with my job and several flights of stairs. I suspect the pain in my feet will return.

Down side. No weight loss in fact a weight gain. I do expect long term that it will result in weight loss. Some gas with the increased fiber.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    kizanne2 wrote: »

I see I'm not allowed a simple safe space to record my journey so I won't be back.

You are focused on good things and in my observations on this site, people who make changes for health seem to be more successful than those who do it primarily for appearance.

MFP has a personal blog feature and you might find that to be more of the "simple safe place" you desire than an open thread in a general forum. Just a thought. Good luck.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

I see I'm not allowed a simple safe space to record my journey so I won't be back.

You are focused on good things and in my observations on this site, people who make changes for health seem to be more successful than those who do it primarily for appearance.

MFP has a personal blog feature and you might find that to be more of the "simple safe place" you desire than an open thread in a general forum. Just a thought. Good luck.

Good to know, I didn't realize MFP had this option :)
  • kizanne2
    Options
    Yes thank you for the journal idea. I don't have any problem with discussion about nutrition or effective diets to lower CRP and cholesterol. I was hoping that it didn't degenerate to simply lose weight as the only option. The reason I chose to make it public was there are plenty of people who struggle to lose weight or it takes them many months to accomplish this. I was hoping to discuss steps you can do in the meantime to help your blood chemistry.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Yes thank you for the journal idea. I don't have any problem with discussion about nutrition or effective diets to lower CRP and cholesterol. I was hoping that it didn't degenerate to simply lose weight as the only option. The reason I chose to make it public was there are plenty of people who struggle to lose weight or it takes them many months to accomplish this. I was hoping to discuss steps you can do in the meantime to help your blood chemistry.

I normalized a prediabetic glucose number, as well as improved all my other health markers, over the course of a few months with weight loss. Even losing 5-10 lbs will most likely improve health markers, so even if the process takes a few months every pound makes a positive impact. No harm in changing up what kinds of foods you're eating, but like others have said-focusing on losing excess weight will most likely give you the biggest results.