Maintaining Weight on KETO

Options
I have reached my goal weight after being on keto for a little bit over a month (i didn't have much to lose, compared to other peoples' transformations - i had 5,5kg to drop) and I want to maintain my current weight without getting off keto.
I like the benefits of the diet on my overall health and want to continue it, but i struggle with staying on the same level.
I currently have my app set to 1700 calories a day, with 5% carbs, 25% protein and 70% fats, however i never eat as much as that.
I always gain a few hundred grams if I eat closer to the limit. I am currently 57kgs, exercise 4 to 5 times a week and eat twice a day + 1 snack. I fast 5 days a week and my fasts are usually 17 to 18 hours long.
I don't know what info is relevant to add it, but i really am open to advice. I saw online that I'm supposed to raise my calorie intake (which I did on the app - from 1500 to 1700, but I still don't eat that much), while also keeping carbs low, which I did, but I still lost some weight after doing that.
Help?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Calorie balance determines weight maintenance - not the type of foods or timing of eating.

If you are losing weight over an extended period of time you need to increase your calories - you can fine tune your daily goal manually to make small adjustments. Ignore the short term fluctuations, it's the trend you need to base your adjustments on.

If you want to keep your carbs very low then those extra calories are going to have to come from fat or protein.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    It's easier to try to sneak extra cals via fat. Use more butter or OO for cooking and in sauces or just a tbsp on any veggies. Choose fattier cuts of meat. Cream and cheese are high in cal density, though cream does have carbs so if your carb level is already approaching 50g then that would be more a concern to you. You may want to investigate if at your exercise level you could tolerate a few more carbs. Then nuts would be a good calorie bomb.