Taste Buds?

Options
It's 3 months in and 14lbs down and something I am noticing is that my taste buds are changing, or that's what I assume is happening. The thing I am noticing the most is the way things are tasting sweeter than they were - for instance I never used to notice how sweet cows milk is until now. Is this just because I am generally eating less sugar or are there other reasons?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have found this to be true as well. Fruit tastes amazing now. I never liked fresh figs until I was served some as a dessert. I am in love with figs now. Such a subtle sweet fruit.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've noticed it too.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Your taste buds will definitely change. When I started eating plant based the first 3 weeks were tough getting use to what I thought were bland flavours. Over time that has changed, and I learned to cook better and my taste buds have altered and are not desiring the sweet and salty tastes that I used to love.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Not just on the sweet spectrum but on the 'worth it' spectrum - a lot of easy sweet treat candy cake kinda thing I just don't enjoy enough for it to be worth it. I will eat cake and candy but I'm way pickier.
  • nwnightowl206
    nwnightowl206 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    me too, funny thing I used to hate dark chocolate now I love it, and I can eat just a small amount as a treat which I never managed to do with milk chocolate
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I think for some of us there is a mental programming when it comes to some food. I have heard people that talk about hating certain food but then moving to a region where it is a staple and growing to love it after a few months. That is not 100 percent because I have lived in the south my entire life and still hate boiled to death vegetables.

Some people report a change in taste sensitivity especially for sweet things. I don't drink soda anymore so about a month ago I drank a little sprite and it was like syrup to me and I used to drink it daily.

Also I have definitely reached a state of feeling a mental reward for eating higher volume lower calorie food which makes some things just seem to taste better. It also makes me super picky about low quantity high calorie food. I have pretty much reached a point that I refuse to eat anything expensive that comes out of the freezer. If I am going to spend the calories I want it freshly prepared. This is usually a good thing but it does have a downside... one that I actually ran into today because I needed to fill a large calorie gap and I wasn't in the mood for any of the normal solutions like peanut butter.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I gave up sugar (Coke, etc.) and other highly refined foods, and now all kinds of flavors are apparent and enjoyable. Red and yellow peppers are divine. Fruits are amazing. Greens like romaine and kale taste better than they used to.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Taste buds change. Most common is salt tolerance/preference if you cut down on salt and sugar preference if you cut down on sugar.

For whatever reason I never liked things especially sweet so that was not a change I detected (except when becoming an adult). I switched to diet soda in my late teens and although diet is still quite sweet after a year or so I found the syrupiness of regular intolerable and awful. When I started cooking most food at home (but still adding salt when cooking), I found my preferences were for less salty.

I find I mostly crave the foods I eat. I crave salads a lot, but not so much when not eating salad.

Biggest change I've personally experienced (not diet related) is that I hated hot (spicy) food as a kid and now love it.

I always find it odd when people say they didn't enjoy/taste as sweet fruits and veg before giving up other foods, since I always loved these foods and found them sweet (I like bitter food too), but then I wasn't someone who ate tons of sweet foods and when I used to drink wine (when I also drank lots of diet soda), my preference was always for dry wines and I hated sweet wine.