question on strength standards

Options
I've been doing Stronglifts for about 6 weeks and making some gains. I've seen a lot of strength standards on the internet. When trying to size up my progress how do you take into account being overweight. Should I look at what my ideal bodyweight is and target those numbers or focus on my actual weight on the scale? I haven't lost any weight lifting but I definitely feel stronger and look more toned.

Replies

• SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Progress should be rated vs you, where you started, its’s the only reasonable approach. If you start with 50lbs on a lift, that 5lb increase on that lift is much more progress for you than it is for the guy doing 200lbs on the same lift who might vary more than that because of the weather today.

Whats your reason for wanting to compare? If you want to compare to an avg of people, yes check your ideal bodyweight if you are reasonably getting there, and your real bodyweight if you want to kick yourself in the butt.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about comparing your stats to others. Just keep working to improve your own performance.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Extra weight can give better levers which can lift more weight. That doesn't mean one has gained strength per sae. Just they can move more weight. The body adapts and therefore we become more efficient at moving weight as well.

Strength standards are mute. They don't reflect the experience of training, how one responds to training, bf%, health etc...

I suggest just do your best and move onto more advanced training as soon as you stall or sooner. SL while is a ok beginner program, it will not last long when looking long term of your life.

• Brokentang
    Brokentang Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Base it on your height not your weight.
  • Thinnyminime
    Thinnyminime Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question. I have been wondering it too and the responses are super helpful. I have a personal trainer and I am working on the Burn rotation now, I'll be heading into Strength soon. My trainer has said, where lifting is concerned being over weight is an asset and we should maximize it. I look at it as my fit body is developing from the inside out...like a butterfly!!!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question. I have been wondering it too and the responses are super helpful. I have a personal trainer and I am working on the Burn rotation now, I'll be heading into Strength soon. My trainer has said, where lifting is concerned being over weight is an asset and we should maximize it. I look at it as my fit body is developing from the inside out...like a butterfly!!!

fce38xvhwsth.png