Newbie and wanting to gain weight

Hi, newbie who's always struggled with weight gain, recently diagnosed with IBS. Have started to gain weight, slow process but would like a bit of help if possible to increase weight and turn into muscle. Maybe there's someone out there that can help. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Eat a surplus, lift weights, limit cardio
  • shadowb9934
    shadowb9934 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm in my 40's and a woman. Since gaining a bit of weight gone from less than 6st to now 8st I have gained a belly or as someone told me -a muffin top..

I would like to get a six pack but not sure what excercises I need to do.? Or what foods I should be eating?.

I would also like to be able gain muscle not fat. I don't know how to do this. Any advice?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2019
    I'm in my 40's and a woman. Since gaining a bit of weight gone from less than 6st to now 8st I have gained a belly or as someone told me -a muffin top..

I would like to get a six pack but not sure what excercises I need to do.? Or what foods I should be eating?.

I would also like to be able gain muscle not fat. I don't know how to do this. Any advice?

as @moogie_fit said, eat in a surplus, lift weights...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Unfortunately, you won't be able to gain just muscle. You can minimize fat gains by keeping your surplus smaller (so gaining 0.5lb per week or less), also be sure to follow a proper program from the above link. If you want to add extra progressive ab work you can if you really want to build up the abdominals. However while you will be building muscle you will also be gaining some fat so the abs will be hiding a bit until you cut down again.

In terms of eating, make sure you are getting a minimum protein of 0.8-1g per lb bodyweight, minimum fats 0.35g per lb bodyweight and rest carbs. Once you hit the minimums you can play around with the numbers to find a ratio that works best for you.