So much confusion/anxiety over macros

Options
13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    achagpar wrote: »
    A lot of folks have said it’s important to hit your protein and fat for health... I try to get the protein in and often get close, but my fat intake is way below what MFP says is my goal. (I have no probs getting my carbs ;) ) So my question is: do I really need to get more fats in? I’m worried it will throw off my calorie deficit and I need to lose the last 7 lbs....

fat is essential for your body - i wouldn't go too far below what MFP recommends consistently - increasing yoru fats won't inhibit losing that last 7lbs unless you are consistently eating over your calorie goal (i.e. go for more fatty cuts of meat; have full-fat dairy vs. fat free dairy etc)

This. Fat is an essential nutrient: Your body doesn't manufacture it from other nutrients (in a way that has the desired effect: Obviously, you can metabolize stored fat.)

Adequate fat intake is important for absorbing fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K . . .), for cellular health, for hormone balance, etc.

My feeling - not as a scientist/RD, but based on reading - is that a reasonable target is something in the range of 0.35-0.45g daily per pound of healthy goal weight. Your default MFP percentages may or may not hit close to that. In my amateur understanding, a little higher in the range might be better for women; a little lower might be OK for men.

For me, at 5'5", and narrow-framed, I figure 50g per day minimum is OK . . . but like you, fat is the macro I'm most likely to be low on, if I don't pay attention. (50g = about 450 calories; nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil are especially good sources IMO, along with certain fatty fish for folks who eat fish (I don't); but some can come from other meats and dairy, too, of course, among other things).
  • achagpar
    achagpar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Thank you @deannalfisher and @AnnPT77 for your replies! Very helpful!