guilty or not guilty

Options
Hi everyone...This weekend was a holiday for me. I gave myself permission to indulge and go off program for 1 day but I did it today two :(. I'm at goal and havent went off for 5 weeks. I know this stuff happens but I kinda feel guilty. I told myself one day off program but today I was stuck in with all these amazing leftovers and chocolate, I have a bit of a head cold and needed something to give me energy so I just indulged making this 2 days...I know tomorrow is a new day and I'm back on track I just feel gross and guilty. any advice....

Replies

• Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I mean, you lost weight before, so making up cheat (adjacent) days should be a cinch for you. I wouldn't feel bad about it, you earned it, and you can easily make up for it if you want to.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    DON'T feel guilty. It happens and there is no point beating yourself up over it.

DO stay off the scales for at least 3 days. The extra food in your digestive tract and fluid retention will just give a false higher reading than normal but this won't be a gain in body fat.

In the unlikely event that the scales are still a little higher and outside your maintenance range after a week or so then just eat at a slight deficit for a few weeks.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Confidence is owning your choices! Own your choice, acknowledge you enjoyed it, and move on! I know you are disciplined. I can almost guarantee you this will have zero impact on your long-term.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    No guilt. The guilt should come after it becomes a habit for weeks or months.

Life happens, special days, birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, other celebrations. Key to maintaining, once the weight is lost, is to not go back to overeating and gaining weight back. Something over 80% of us have difficulty with.

Allow yourself to be human, a couple days will not do damage.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you really felt guilty, then just ask yourself why. Two days is nothing other than noise in the overall picture, and if you've been otherwise doing what you want to do it will have little to any impact.

Make your choices and live with them. And for many of us, those choices will include days of excess, indulgence, not caring, and just plain old fun.

A couple/fews years back I was dropping some weight for a period and we decided to have a bunch of friends over. Though we are getting a little too old to howl at the moon thinking tequilla all night, generally when people are over it's not a short term thing or lacking food and drink.

I logged over 7000 calories that day. I think all my goal calories were logged in alcohol alone.
    #notguilty #gottahavefun #semihungoverbikeride

And BTW, I still actually lost weight that week.
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, you just have to say *kitten* it. The food was good. You enjoyed yourself. Brilliant. It was a lovely break from calorie counting. You just have to accept it happened (was hopefully mentally good for you) and get back on the horse.

Since you're at maintenance, social events or just lots of available food us going to happen, You just need to come up with your own set of rules of engagement. Think about when you'll allow yourself just to kick back and go wild or if you'll set limits in someway. I'm not at maintenance yet but I've discovered that I can have a much smaller slice of cake than I used to and not regret not having a door stop sized piece (or so I keep telling myself). But I have to fully turn it down unless there's a truly celebratory reason to have it. I have to ignore the sometimes sizeable pile of biscuits and cakes that sit next to my computer at work. It's definitely getting easier as time goes on.