Maintaining After Slimming World

Options
Hello!

I am a 32 year old from Glasgow Scotland, and I have a 2 year old son. I work for a University as a Finance Business Partner and workout 5 days a week.

I lost 2.5 stone in 4 months following the Slimming World plan and have been maintaining that loss for almost 18 months.

I have decided to make the switch to calorie counting because although SW got me to target, my relationship with food is severely damaged. I didn't eat the right things before SW and certainly didn't when I was pregnant, but my portions weren't excessive and I didn't ever need to binge on high fat foods. On SW, the plan allows 'unlimited' amounts of 'free food' such as rice, potatoes, pasta and fruit/veg. But this is only 'free' until you are satisfied, and I don't have this switch now to recognise fullness. So i'm making the break to calorie counting 🙌

I have a few events coming up this year starting with a 10km race in May, Tough Mudder in June and my first half marathon in September before my first family holiday abroad in October.

Any advice or observations on my diary will be much appreciated so please add me 🥰

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,591 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    One of the benefits of "accurate" calorie counting is that you can experiment with a variety of foods till you find what is satiating to YOU.

The slimming world choices for free foods and the whole syn thing blows my mind and just proves that in reality if you restrict ANYTHING in the end you will have some results.

And while I do find that potatoes tend to be fairly high in my own satiation index... I am not so sure about rice and pasta, personally ;-)

Hopefully now that you will be more free to experiment with additional food products you WILL find the combinations of foods that satiate YOU.

Since I just looked it up for another post, here is an interesting resource... appendix 7 can also help establish some minimum targets in terms of macros... The web page title is Dietary Guidelines 2015 - 2020... https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/
  • chloevieira3918
    chloevieira3918 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I found the same problem when I started losing weight... that switch of knowing when I’m full is gone... how do we get it back :(
  • laurenhugs23
    laurenhugs23 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I found the same problem when I started losing weight... that switch of knowing when I’m full is gone... how do we get it back :(

There is a great book about training the mind-body connection to become an intuitive eater. My dietitian recommended it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0312321236/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_PRyMCb2VEY99W
  • LyndaK32
    LyndaK32 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

There is a great book about training the mind-body connection to become an intuitive eater. My dietitian recommended it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0312321236/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_PRyMCb2VEY99W

I've just downloaded this to my Kindle, thank you for sharing x
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options

My full switch has always been broken, it's why I gained the weight. Whether I am in a deficit or eating maintenance I am ALWAYS hungry. The only time I feel full is when I am physically uncomfortable from too much food in my stomach, not healthy and leads to weight gain. This is why I think that I will be a counter for life, I don't think mine will ever get fixed on it's own.