How to check BP

Options
Hello friends
Every Sunday morning I check my BP at home for that I am using omron make BP monitor....
But the problem is it’s show different reading for every attempt...
You can find out range of reading,
But I am not sure about exact reading
So anybody can suggest me about best BP instrument available in market or any method....
Take a 3-4 readings with some gap say 5 min and average out those reading
Can we do that??

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor asked you to monitor your blood pressure?
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It depends on what your doctor advises. A friend of mine needs to monitor BP. He is supposed to sit upright at the table, and be calm and still for a few minutes to regulate his breathing. Then he takes one measurement on the left arm, writes it in his notebook, and waits a few minutes and repeats on the right arm. He does this at set times during the day.

If you're active before you take the measurement, if you're not sitting properly with your arm in the right position, if you're anxious about the process, if the cuff and tube aren't positioned properly, etc. the readings can be very different. Ask your doctor or nurse practitioner to show you how best to measure - with the actual cuff you're using - and when/how often you should be doing it. :)
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Blood pressure readings will fluctuate even after a few minutes, there's no such thing as an "exact" measurement.

...and that's why any equipment will show fluctuating readings. If you take your blood pressure because of your doctor's advise, he will also tell you which equipment to use, how to use it, at what time of the day you should use it and before or after a meal. Do a reading right after a salty / sugary meal / snack and you will be amazed by how much it will differ to your average reading. Are you handing in your readings to your doctor on a weekly basis? What does he say?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    BP is not a super hard and fast number, it fluctuates by the minute. The idea is to get a consistent average.

You need to be sitting in a supportive chair, with a straight back, with your feet flat on the floor not dangling, not crossed. Your arm should be supported at heart level, like on a table or a high armrest. You need to sit for 5 minutes and allow your blood pressure to calm down from the locomotion of walking to and sitting down in the chair and all the activity you did before. If all these things aren't perfect, make sure they are "not perfect" in the same way every time. Like if you lean forward instead of resting on the back of the chair, you need to do that every time so you can compare the numbers.

Some machines take 3 readings at least 60 seconds apart. Some you'd have to do this yourself. You should wait at least 60 seconds for the veins to reinflate from the pressure of the cuff and return to normal, and/or switch arms.
  • MahShield21
    MahShield21 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your valuable response.
    Actually I faced high BP problem in 2014 so initially doctor started one low dose tablet and asked me to visit everyday same time for BP checking, later on doctor asked me to come every week and BP was under control within 4 months and I stopped tablet too.
    After that I brought BP monitor and regularly checking my BP at home on every weekend.
    Now it’s around 85/125 and if I do proper exercises with proper life style it will be normal
    My age is 45 and weight is 143 pounds I hope I reduce some weight then BP will also under control....
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This is one of the best articles I have found for measuring blood pressure at home. It's worth noting the importance of position and the effects of taking the measurement too quickly. AAFP is an excellent resource and this article explains some of the AHA guidelines.

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/1001/p1391.html

As others have said readings taken in sequence will often times be different, but you should be able to see a trend and they should be reasonably close together. Remember to watch your significant figures.

Good luck!
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Actually I faced high BP problem in 2014 so initially doctor started one low dose tablet and asked me to visit everyday same time for BP checking, later on doctor asked me to come every week and BP was under control within 4 months and I stopped tablet too.
    After that I brought BP monitor and regularly checking my BP at home on every weekend.
    Now it’s around 85/125 and if I do proper exercises with proper life style it will be normal
    My age is 45 and weight is 143 pounds I hope I reduce some weight then BP will also under control....

if you are getting readings of 85/125 that's not too bad. actually that's pretty normal. optimal is 80/120. you should be concerned with anything that reads over 90/140 the bottom number is going to fluctuate a lot more than the top number.

I take regular blood pressure readings, I do it in same seat, before tablets, give myself 5 minutes, then test.

if you're concerned about your BP, well worth chatting with the dr and finding out just what they consider their range of normal.

SORRY, my mistake, it should be 120/80! not 80/120

the lower number is much too high in that case. get readings done at the pharmacy! Also, take your BP machine to pharmacy as well, so you can compare readings and possibly calibrate too. same for the dr office.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I presume you have the numbers turned around. The top number is the systolic pressure and should be higher.

As others have said, pressure can vary from one reading to the next even within a few minutes of each other. Several factors can also influence it. Recent activity (try sitting quietly for 10 minutes and check it, then run stairs for 10 minutes and check it), sodium intake, hydration status, medications (not just the ones specifically for blood pressure), irregular heart rhythms (such as A-Fib), etc. Keep checking it and take your numbers to your doctor for interpretation and recommendations.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I have an omron BP monitor bp761n that syncs to a phone app. If you take say three readings over the course of about 10 mins, it will average them for you. I also recommend the link given above for BP guidelines, it is important for getting consistent readings.

You can also export all your raw data from the app to a csv file to show your doctor in excel. Has been useful for me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the first / top number (systolic) must be higher than the 2nd / bottom number (diastolic).

Be sure the cuff is positioned correctly and that it is the proper size for your arm. If possible, use the same arm every time (I realize that for some of us, this is not possible).

And as others have said, it will vary as much as from minute to minute. If you ever watch a monitor in the hospital, you will likely notice this as well. Typically the exact number is less important than trends. If it isn't exact, but runs high constantly, then that is likely important to your dr. If it is high one day and not all the other days, then there may have been a temporary reason for that high reading and may not be a big concern.
  • MahShield21
    Options
    Thanks again friends for your valuable response
    On an average my readings are 125 (systolic) and 85 (diastolic)
    I am sure with above tips definitely I will be able to control my blood pressure to noral.
    and I hope this is info is useful to all concerned people..
  • MahShield21
    Options
    Some important tips to reduce/normal BP
    1) Eat lot of fruits and vegetables
    Include low fat milk products and reduce carbohydrates
    (expected reduction in systolic BP by 8 to 14)

2) Limit sodium to 2400 miligraem per day
    (expected reduction in systolic BP by 2 to 8)

3) At least 30 min fast walk every day
    (expected reduction in systolic BP by 4 to 9)

4) Limit alcoholic beverages