How long to get fit?

Options
Hello, my height is 5’9 and my weight is 190. If I stay below my calorie intake and eat healthy, also workout 3 time or 4 times a week. How long will it take me to get toned up and loose the weight? Just curious and something to look forward to. Need some realistic answers here and people who know for a fact how long it might take.

Replies

• bodyofartsandmuscle
    bodyofartsandmuscle Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    No one can know 'for a fact'
    Then how long do you think?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No one can know 'for a fact'
    Then how long do you think?

A pound a week is a realistic rate of loss
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I’ll share my experience. I lost 80 pounds. Getting fit and losing weight were combined goals. It took me a year to become what I feel is fit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started becoming more fit within 2 weeks and I have continued progressing for nearly 5 years. It really all depends on your expectations and definitions of being fit.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    imho.... it's a process, not an event

it's about lifestyle approach

clean diet
    exercise ( strength training and cardio comes in all shapes and sizes )
    restful sleep
    stress mangement
    healthy relationships
    patience and persistence

.....it's a long ride, take good care of yourself

• moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hello, my height is 5’9 and my weight is 190. If I stay below my calorie intake and eat healthy, also workout 3 time or 4 times a week. How long will it take me to get toned up and loose the weight? Just curious and something to look forward to. Need some realistic answers here and people who know for a fact how long it might take.

It's a lifelong journey. No end point
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    And how do you define fit? One person's fit might be another person's half way there.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    *"A man came up to me on the street and asked me, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" I told him PRACTICE" Same for fitness and health. Practice it.

(*nod to Henny Youngman)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Lose what amount of weight?
    At what point precisely do you declare you are "toned up"? How would you measure or quantify that?

For me at 5'9" I lost at 1lb/week to lose 23lbs from 198 -> 175lbs to get to my original goal weight.
    I would guess that's far too high a goal weight for you, it was a little too high for me.
    Lost the next amount of weight deliberately slowly, as slow as 1lb/month to fine tune my "ideal weight".

I know for a fact that your experience will be different to mine.

Started fairly fit, got fitter and carried on getting fitter way beyong the period of losing weight - there isn't an end point, there's always more to aspire to.

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,323 Member
    Options

Op.. how ever you choose.. nobody can tell you how long it will take you.. don't rush.. just take your time.. my 2 cents.
  • Brokentang
    Brokentang Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fitness and weight loss can be fast but it's gradual so can be hard to gauge.

Keep filling in your diary and recording your weight and you'll see your trend.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    I approached it this way:

Let's see what I can do in 16 weeks if I apply myself.

16 weeks is not forever, so if it's not working for me for whatever reason, I'll do something different at the end of 16 weeks. If it is working and I'm happy, I'll keep going for another 16 weeks.