Help Losing Control!

patriciades
patriciades Posts: 7
edited September 21 in Motivation and Support
I have gained 2 pounds this week!!! I am so disappointed with myself. I keep doing this to myself. I HATE being fat!! I have no one to blame but myself. I have lost this weight several times before, then something happens to trigger my eating. Sometimes I know what it is and sometimes I don't. This time I know what started it, a personal happening and a job that was forced upon me that keeps me so stressed I am miserable. Can't quit, can't afford to, so I eat. I need help hanging on.

Replies

• kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Oh no, so sorry your stressing! You need to find another outlet (yah, like you dont know that LOL)....
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    today is a new day. at some point you will come to the realization that you and your body are more important than what ever it is that you put in your mouth to dull the pain/stress/thoughts. One of the things I did in the beginning (and seems I am starting from the beginning again myself!) is to do some sort of exercise BEFORE you are allowed to eat anything other than your normal food within calorie limit.

I set up (and am doing so again) my foods for the day in my diary. Before I am allowed a cupcake let's say............I have to do 20 squats and 10 push ups............at home I have a jump rope, at work I go in the bathroom.

I can tell ya, by the time I have completed my task, I grab an apple!! :laugh:

Today is a new day............make it beautiful!

Jeannie
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    You are stressed, okay. Get rid of that stress. Not by eating, of course! Try to find something that will keep your mind occupied and helps you on your journey. Maybe a hobby outdoor, and even if it's just a short walk down the street every evening. Just DO something instead of keeping your mouth busy with chewing. I know, it's so much easier said then done. I have been there myself often enough, but it's worth the effort. You will feel so much better about yourself, instead of crying in your pillow because you gained another pound. And this will also help you to release some stress.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Galathea is spot on in my opinion.

Exercise, especially if it is boisterous will relieve stress and will also dampen down cravings for crappy food, actually exercise dampens down appetite. Don't know why it does, but it is damn handy :laugh:

Seriously though, everytime you get stressed you eat and everytime you eat because of stress you then worry your weight will increase and so that puts more stress on you and then you comfort eat.

My oh my oh my what a vicious circle.
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Hi, can you pick ANOTHER activity that relaxes you as an alternative to eating? Knitting? Bird-watching? Geneaology? Pick something you are interested in and send your mind there when you feel stress coming on. Sounds goofy but I am actually writing a book - in my head. Only a little bit is written down yet, but when I can't sleep or have enforced boredom (like meetings) I can review chapters of the book in my mind and try to add on bits and pieces.

If you are stuck for exercise options, get some basic workout books from the library. I am having a lot of success just using light weights. I borrowed a book with 10 different workout routines. I started with just the basic routine 2X a week, takes 15-20 minutes. This week I am going to start adding the legs workouts 2X a week and in a few weeks, the arms workouts as well. Eventually should be a 45 minute workout altogether. Exercise helps relieve stress also, tired muscles means better sleep.
  • Thanks everyone for all the support. After my post I actually met a friend of mine at the gym. I feel better. Now I have to remember THIS feeling and run with that.
This discussion has been closed.