Protein after a workout.

Does it make any difference the time of day one consumes protein...especially after a work out!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Not really, as long as you're getting an adequate amount throughout the day.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Does it make any difference the time of day one consumes protein...especially after a work out!

No
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    The only time when the timing of when I ate protein seemed to actually be important for me was when I was doing very specific rehabilitation for major knee surgery. Even then, that was only after my physical therapy sessions, not after doing my home exercises.

For people who aren't dealing with something like that and/or who aren't a very small subsection of elite athletes, there is likely no need to time when you're consuming protein.

Note: the logic to it being important in my specific situation had to do with the what exactly we were doing and why we were doing it. Both of my physical therapists at the time (both of whom work at a major teaching hospital) were the ones who gave me the "eat X grams of protein after PT" advice and it was pretty easy to find peer reviewed articles that backed up this advice.
  • AnilAnhirode
    AnilAnhirode Posts: 20 Member
    Don't believe the bro science. There's no magical anabolic window of 15 min from your last rep of your workout where you metabolize protein faster.

Usually after a workout your body is in an increased metabolic state, which can last from 24 - 48 hrs.

To answer youe question, no. As long as your hitting your daily protein goal you're gonna be fine. Dosent matter when you take your protein shake.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    This is a good summary of protein needs and how it fits in with recovery. One of the takeaways is there is some benefit to a small amount of protein in that 1-2 hour post-recovery workout.

https://www.active.com/nutrition/articles/the-role-of-protein-in-exercise-recovery
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    I take my shake after workout. Because It is quick and convienient and the only time of the day that I can fit it in.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2019
    Depends on the person and the "workout" to a degree but for the vast majority of people the only important thing is getting an appropriate amount of protein over the course of your day.

If you are a truly elite athlete looking for every 0.01% of advantage or your workouts are multi hour and you need to actively manage your recovery in order to be able to train again in the next few hours then may become more of an issue.

It's certainly no problem if you happen to like it and it fits in your eating schedule but don't force it.