Keto vs calorie counting

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    You lose weight when you consistently eat fewer calories than you burn. Any way of eating that puts you in a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss. There is no characteristic of keto, or any other diet, that will lead to weight loss without a calorie deficit.

However, I generally don't find it fruitful to argue with people who are convinced about unscientific ideas on how weight loss works. If they make an intentional and sustained effort to lose weight, they'll ultimately figure it out for themselves, and in my experience that's the only way that many naysayers will be persuaded. Confirmation bias about weight loss is very strong.

I agree with this in general.

However, when it comes to online-forums, I would probably argue for the benefit of other who may be reading and don't have their minds already made up.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I am able to eat a small amount more while keto without it affecting my weight, which has been born out in Hall and Lustig's studies which showed up to a 100 or 300 (I believe) kcal metabolic advantage. It isn't much, and it hasn't been proven to happen for all (those with hyperinsulinemia seem to benefit), but it isn't nothing.

For instance, I set my MFP weight loss goal for 1420 to lose about 1.5 lbs a week when I weighed 190lbs at 5'8" while inactive. Instead I averaged 1500 kcal over 3 months and lost 2-3 lbs a week. Once I got close to goal, below 160 lbs, then my weight loss slowed to the predicted rate of 1-1.5 lbs a week.

Eating certain foods can also affect how much you can eat. Nuts have quite a thermogenic effect. Proteins (like meat) does too.

Keto will cause water loss from glycogen depletion early on, and also from lower insulin levels (insulin causes water retention), but that is just in the first week or two. After that, unless you had extreme water retention, weight loss is largely fat. Glycogen stores do get refilled too so some of that water comes back on.

Calories do matter. You can't lose if you are eating excess calories, but diet can have a small effect on how many calories you can eat and still be in a deficit.

To be fair, the "metabolic advantage" or increase in EE, was over the first few days and continuously tapered. As Kevin Hall mentioned, it was due to the fact that increase is from initial ketone production. It was also noted that during that period, there was no fat loss and that overall fat loss was greater in the low fat group, since the storage of carbs as body fat is not very efficient.

For those with IR, it seems logical to lose more on low carb. Prolonged periods of lipogenesis caused by over production of insulin would inhibit the abilty to burn fat since HSL would be suppressed.

Adding:

https://youtu.be/qxmVsT_ZeNs
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,750 Member
    Options
    Is there a transcript?!?!?! grrrr: videos!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I am able to eat a small amount more while keto without it affecting my weight, which has been born out in Hall and Lustig's studies which showed up to a 100 or 300 (I believe) kcal metabolic advantage. It isn't much, and it hasn't been proven to happen for all (those with hyperinsulinemia seem to benefit), but it isn't nothing.

For instance, I set my MFP weight loss goal for 1420 to lose about 1.5 lbs a week when I weighed 190lbs at 5'8" while inactive. Instead I averaged 1500 kcal over 3 months and lost 2-3 lbs a week. Once I got close to goal, below 160 lbs, then my weight loss slowed to the predicted rate of 1-1.5 lbs a week.

Eating certain foods can also affect how much you can eat. Nuts have quite a thermogenic effect. Proteins (like meat) does too.

Keto will cause water loss from glycogen depletion early on, and also from lower insulin levels (insulin causes water retention), but that is just in the first week or two. After that, unless you had extreme water retention, weight loss is largely fat. Glycogen stores do get refilled too so some of that water comes back on.

Calories do matter. You can't lose if you are eating excess calories, but diet can have a small effect on how many calories you can eat and still be in a deficit.

To be fair, the "metabolic advantage" or increase in EE, was over the first few days and continuously tapered. As Kevin Hall mentioned, it was due to the fact that increase is from initial ketone production. It was also noted that during that period, there was no fat loss and that overall fat loss was greater in the low fat group, since the storage of carbs as body fat is not very efficient.

For those with IR, it seems logical to lose more on low carb. Prolonged periods of lipogenesis caused by over production of insulin would inhibit the abilty to burn fat since HSL would be suppressed.

True, the metabolic advantage was tapering. It's a real shame it was not a longer term study so he could have seen if the taper continued or not, and so that subjects were fully fat adapted, which appears to take 1-3 months.

Have you seen his new study proposal? It looks interesting, but I was hoping he would start it from a higher carb background AND a higher fat background. Instead he says he will start from "normal" which is presumedly high carb.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2019
    Options

True, the metabolic advantage was tapering. It's a real shame it was not a longer term study so he could have seen if the taper continued or not, and so that subjects were fully fat adapted, which appears to take 1-3 months.

Have you seen his new study proposal? It looks interesting, but I was hoping he would start it from a higher carb background AND a higher fat background. Instead he says he will start from "normal" which is presumedly high carb.

I haven't seen the new study but if you watch the video from Jeff Nippard, he notes a few studies that demonstrate no difference. I suspect that the increase in EE would disappear once you hit a basal level of ketones.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

I haven't seen the new study but if you watch the video from Jeff Nippard, he notes a few studies that demonstrate no difference. I suspect that the increase in EE would disappear once you hit a basal level of ketones.

It may. Or not. I'm losing about 0.5-1 lb a week on about 2000 kcal right now. That's 4 years in, with the last year as basically a carnivore and eating to satiety. I am at about goal weight and inactive, and trying to eat more to slow my losses.
  • jimandpam87
    jimandpam87 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you switch from a standard American diet to eating mostly vegetables and meat, then yeah you probably can eat "more food" and still lose weight. However, calorie-wise, of course we all know that to lose weight you must eat less than you burn. Anyone that says otherwise is just wrong.