Progress - In a fashion....

Options
SairahRose
SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
Before I had my son I was eating 1300 cals a day, and doing loads of cardio exercise.
I believed that I needed to do this because a deficit was the way to go, and the less I ate (providing it wasn't less than 1200), the better it would be. My diet was pretty poor, and I was hungry. But it was ok, because I was dropping 4-6lb a week, and I was getting thin! Yay me!!

No. Not yay me. It was awful. I was probably netting around 200 cals all told. I still told myself that it was for my own good.

I was about 30lbs off goal when I got pregnant, and upped my cals to 1600 on doctor's advice. I felt a lot fuller, sure, but due to illness had to cut down on the exercise. Which meant the weight crept back on. After a bad pregnancy, I went back up to 294 (right where I was before).

I came across this site, and I dropped down to 1400, and started increasing the exercise slowly, but still netting about 700. After a couple of months I started stalling. Before dropping down again though, I felt I needed to see if the issue was me and what I was doing first.
So I started researching, and looking at different ways I could achieve my goal without sacrificing my sanity. And stumbled on Nerdfitness, as well as here. I looked at BMR and TDEE methods, and saw that there was something fundamentally wrong with the way I was doing it before. My "diet" wasn't sustainable, nor was it healthy.
So I tried to go into it full force. My body wouldn't let me. I felt bloated and sick. But I carried on. I gained 10lb.

Then, after a month... something changed. I no longer felt like I was forcing food down my neck just to hit numbers. I found that I could eat better, and look forward to a meal. Some days I even found that I was hungry - on 1900 calories.. hungry?! I'd not felt hunger for ages!

Now I'm down to 217.5, and feel SO MUCH HEALTHIER!
It's not a rush, it's a lifestyle for me, so I don't care how long it takes, or really even what my weight is. What matters is what size I am, and how I feel. I'm nowhere near goal, but I'm still working on that.

Anyway - I did have a point.. somewhere

b23ae995-219c-44c9-80c9-244d6929e623_zpsaa49839c.jpg

Tl;dr: On the left - 184. I was so close to goal that I thought I looked good. On the right - my thinner self.. at 218 I clearly had a higher body fat percentage at a lower weight than I do now. It makes me happy.
Lesson - don't eat so little. It's never good.

Replies

• shannonmarie752487
    Options
    yay for this post. It seems like it takes soooo long to lose weight, but I would rather lose it slowly than have it all come racing back. Patience. Ugh!! I still feel guilty for not being hungry. Your pics look great, you look so happy, and I hope to see another progress picture soon. :)
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your weight loss and coming back after a big weight gain. I think the point is that "you're not going to lose the weight overnight" It definitely takes commitment, focus, determination and time.
  • igypsy
    igypsy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You look great - I would NEVER have guessed you weighed more in the right hand pic - at first I was wondering if I was reading it the wrong way round! Just shows you that doing things the good old slow and steady way pays off in the end!

Thank you for posting this - it's a great reminder that the number on the scale isn't everything!
  • itzehoe
    itzehoe Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB!
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    awesome progress! it's not just physical but mental as well, you are a great success story!
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thank you :D

I honestly didn't realise the difference until I went checking through an old album. I honestly thought I looked good.
    But looking at the difference now is amazing to me.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You look great. Keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!