My weight isn't budging even after doing most things right

Options

Replies

• rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Isra_1 wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    How much weight are you trying to lose? Two weeks is generally not enough time to know whether or not a weight loss plan is working, especially if you a) have a menstrual cycle, b) have a small amount to lose, and/or c) have just started a new workout routine.

You should be eating the number of calories MFP recommends, making sure that you are using a food scale to log all food accurately, and you should absolutely not be going below 1200 calories per day.

Your body does not need a "shock." This is a myth. It is also not true that it's easier or harder to lose weight depending on how long you have been at that weight.

Im trying to lose about 70lbs. I am menstruating at the moment though. And haven't started a new workout routine. I'm only 5'2 so i thought maybe a 1000kcal would not be too much of a deficit? Please correct me if im wrong.

You shouldn’t eat less than 1200 calories for a very sedentary petite woman. Especially when you won’t be able to maintain it long term.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Also as stated above you need to weigh your food. There’s no way you can eye measure your food (unless you’ve been doing this for a long time and been weighing your food on a scale) especially if you just started. You haven’t answered whether you use a food scale so I’m assuming you don’t. Serving sizes are much much smaller than you’d think.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that you're still eating more than you think. Very often, the recommended serving size is considerably less than you'd imagine. Cereal, for example, is probably less than half of what most people would tip into their bowl. So if you read the box, and it says 150 cals/serving, most people actually eat more than 300.

The first time I weighed out what a portion of cereal actually is, I remember saying, "You've got to be kidding me. That's IT?"

It was an eye opener, for sure. ;)

It's insane. I think a lot of products are deliberately misleading. They tell you the calorie count per portion, but the image on the package shows much bigger portions. No wonder people struggle!

Cookies get me. "200 calories per portion" and it turns out to be for half
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Also as stated above you need to weigh your food. There’s no way you can eye measure your food (unless you’ve been doing this for a long time and been weighing your food on a scale) especially if you just started. You haven’t answered whether you use a food scale so I’m assuming you don’t. Serving sizes are much much smaller than you’d think.

Heck, I'm 7 years into this process and I still use my food scale regularly, it really is a fantastic weight management tool :)

This is almost my 3rd year into it, granted I took like 5-6 months for pregnancy away but I still use my food scale for EVERYTHING.
  • Isra_1
    Isra_1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Do you use a food scale and log everything religiously, no skipping, cheating or forgetting? If no, start there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

x100

also, have you started a new exercise?

has the scale not budged AT ALL? or just not as much as you want?

Not AT ALL

But in the OP you say you lost 1kg in 3 weeks?

I said I didnt lose any weight in 2 weeks.
  • Isra_1
    Options
    I need to clarify a few things here which most of you seem to be getting wrong. First of all, thankyou to everyone who replied and gave their two cents. I appreciate it alot. I realised after reading the concern of the first few comments that my measuring may be inaccurate and hence I have started keeping a tight check on those since today. (I used to measure using cups as a unit, but have started using an analogue food scale to do it.)
    I know that I'm not on a plateau because I only just started. I was referring it to mean that I've seen people generally lose a lot of weight without any troubles at the start and then hit a plateau somewhere along their journey.( i apologize if my OP didnt sound like that, but thats what I meant and I know the term plateau cannot be used for where I am).
  • Isra_1
    Options
    Thankyou to everyone knocking some sense into me. I knew deep down that a 1000kcals wasn't sufficient. The reason I thought about jumping to it was because my best friend who's the same height as me did it that way without any regard for her BMI, TDEE and correct deficit. Two of my best friends have lost weight the wrong and unhealthy way and guide me to do the same (because they are convinced that what they did was the right way) and I think after not seeing results as fast as they did, I was ready to go down their path as well.
  • Isra_1
    Options
    I'm going to guess that you're still eating more than you think. Very often, the recommended serving size is considerably less than you'd imagine. Cereal, for example, is probably less than half of what most people would tip into their bowl. So if you read the box, and it says 150 cals/serving, most people actually eat more than 300.

The first time I weighed out what a portion of cereal actually is, I remember saying, "You've got to be kidding me. That's IT?"

It was an eye opener, for sure. ;)

It's insane. I think a lot of products are deliberately misleading. They tell you the calorie count per portion, but the image on the package shows much bigger portions. No wonder people struggle!

Yes that is a marketing strategy! They don't have one serving in the images.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale and log everything religiously, no skipping, cheating or forgetting? If no, start there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

x100

Not AT ALL

So you lost 1kg the first week then nothing for the following 2?
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's really hard to figure out what's causing troubles because we know so little about you personally. If you have very little weight to lose like 20 lbs or less then you may have to be extremely accurate and patient. I lost 65 lbs the first year and the next 20 took another year. I had been weighing here and there and measuring mostly with cups and tablespoons which worked great in the beginning but as I got closer to goal weight I had to be really accurate to lose. Most exercise machines and devices like fitbit are suspected of overestimating our burns so many only eat half their exercise calories gained. Another thing to watch is the taste of this and that here and there. I found though I was eating great I was taking a bite here and there as I was cooking for hubby. He likes high fat food so needless to say an extra hundred or two calories daily can really mess things up. Try being very accurate in your weights and see if that does the trick.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Sorry just realized you said you wanted to lose 70 pounds. Try measuring more carefully and if you are doing "cheat days" stop. Fit the food you want into a reasonable calorie range. 1000 even at your height is too low. You will have to be patient but there are lots of people on here who are short who lost the weight. Patience will be your best friend. Good luck.
  • Isra_1
    Options

x100

Not AT ALL

So you lost 1kg the first week then nothing for the following 2?

Yes
  • Isra_1
    Options
    Sorry just realized you said you wanted to lose 70 pounds. Try measuring more carefully and if you are doing "cheat days" stop. Fit the food you want into a reasonable calorie range. 1000 even at your height is too low. You will have to be patient but there are lots of people on here who are short who lost the weight. Patience will be your best friend. Good luck.

Thankyou. I will for sure try and tighten things up from now.