Breastfeeding and exercise extra calories

Options
I exercise and breast feed everyday. My caloric intake is set at 1,270 calories a day. But I can never eat enough calories without feeling stuffed and sick when I log in the fact that I breast feed and workout. Do you think those extra calories are really that important? I def have excess fat my body can use for energy and feeding...and I'm only 5'3

Replies

• unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As a feeding mother myself, I would just monitor your response to the way you're eating and exercising. Eating too few calories while feeding can lead to a drop in breast milk supply, so if breast milk is still your baby's primary source of nutrition I would make sure to eat enough to sustain your supply. However, if you still have good supply and you are otherwise energetic and feeling good (and achieving the results you are looking for) then keep doing what you're doing.

What are you NET calories for a normal day?
  • missmeganlyn
    Options
    Still have plenty of milk! And a chunky baby lol..and for the most part I have good energy. Occasionally I'm drained but usually it's only after a night of little to no sleep from night feedings or me passing kidney stones.
  • missmeganlyn
    Options
    I don't plug in breast feeding and exercise so my net calories is usually around 1,200
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I agree with unFATuated. The more your baby eats, the more milk You will make, the more fuel You will need. Listen to your body.

If you are full then stop eating. You dont have to eat those calories back, You will do fine.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You are a very Pretty Girl.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't plug in breast feeding and exercise so my net calories is usually around 1,200

If you aren logging breast feeding and exercise that is your total calories, your net is far below that. Since breast feeding burns around 300 calories, your net is 900 less whatever you burn in exercise.

Yes, it is that important. My understanding is that for the first bit you shouldn't even be eating at a deficit, or a least not a huge one

Eating more isn't hard. Often when I see this people are eating "Low fat" and "low calorie" versions of food. Switch them out for the full version. More calories, same amount of food. You can also add calorie dense foods like avocado, oils, cheese, etc, to increase calories without adding bulk. You could also look a fattier cuts of meat or fish like salmon that have higher calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I agree with unFATuated. The more your baby eats, the more milk You will make, the more fuel You will need. Listen to your body.

If you are full then stop eating. You dont have to eat those calories back, You will do fine.

Hunger is not always a reliable indicator. People who starve themselves often don't experience hunger. Others who are overweight/obese can experience constant hunger when they do not need more.

She is netting below 900 calories according to her. She is eating too little to fuel her own body, let alone the exercise and breast feeding on top of it.
  • missmeganlyn
    Options
    I guess I will have to talk to my doctor. I have plenty of energy to workout everyday and my daughter is gaining weight and is very healthy. I seriously do eat a lot. I eat big salads loaded with vegetables and fish. I add cheese and dressing to it too. I usually have cereal with 2% milk every morning. I would substitute with whole milk i was able to stomach it easily.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I do agree that 900 calories (or even below) is far too few calories, and I think in that case you probably do need to make your NET at least 1200 (so at least enter your breast feeding calories as -300 and try to eat those). I am also one who cannot stomach full-fat milk. Perhaps add in some good fats, like avocado to your salads. These are calorie dense and good for your body.