Mom with limited time

Options
2»

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Make a friendly deal with your significant other (or schedule some extra time for the kid/s at daycare) that gives you (or you both, if you have a partner) both equal spare time periods for yourselves.

If you don't, you'll end up resenting your OH, and the kids, and that leads to arguments.

Yes to this! My husband and I have a deal that he gets Saturday mornings to himself to exercise and do whatever he wants with no responsibility for the kid or pets, and I get Saturday afternoons. This has been a huge help for me finding time to exercise, nap, and generally save my sanity and not feel resentment towards him.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I would walk, outside when the weather is nice. There are YouTube videos for walking at home that have you walk a mile in 15 minutes, I think her name is Leslie Simone. They are fun videos and a good option for when the weather is bad or if you just want to stay inside.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    JusDiana wrote: »
    I'm going to have the unpopular opinion.
    If you are very overweight, as you say- I wouldn't focus initially on an exercise program.
    I would spend the little time you do have available with meal prep. Once you get your diet under control and start to lose some weight, you will have more energy and than you can incorporate a walking program, or a 10-15 minute you tube work out.
    Like you I'm a busy mom too, (full time job, 2 kids in travel sports so I'm lucky to get 5 days a month without an extra curricular activity and an hour commute each way for work).
    This is what worked for me - I tended to go all in and go hard for a week or two with food and exercise and get completely burnt out.
    So this time I said it was all about my healthy eating, I spent time meal prepping, bought a food scale and really counted every single bite I ate- the only extra I did was try and get my steps in. I set a low goal for steps and up'd it each week. So maybe invest in a step tracker or it's built into lots of phones if you always have your phone on you.
    After a couple months of doing this and losing 20-25 lbs I had the energy to exercise. Now I do at home videos (beach body) and have progressed from walking to a light jog.
    I'm down almost 30 lbs and only have 7 lbs to go to my goal weight.

I'm actually surprised that you were the first to say prioritize food. While exercise does have a number of health benefits, and I think everyone who can exercise, should exercise, getting calories under control is indeed key.

I agree with both - get the food part under control. Not saying you are out of control tho. Just start prepping, weighing etc. You can't out exercise a bad diet. Work on food and portions, I found mine were way outta whack! And maybe add in some walking or extra steps throughout the day. A 15 minute walk over lunch at work is usually doable. Same with adding steps by parking far away, or taking the LONG way to the bathroom or break room, printer, etc. I print things on the other printer (extra 50 steps a time) so I have to get up and go get it. I walk to the end of the hall and back before going into and coming out of the restroom (adds about 100 steps each time) Drink LOTS of water and you'll make that trip even more! I slowly got my average of about 2500 steps a day (yep lazy) up to 8000 and don't even think about it now. It's hard to make all the changes at once - so pick one every week or two and then when you add the next one it doesn't seem so overwhelming!
  • julesdechaine
    julesdechaine Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat, I’m really considering buying a treadmill because I have a preemie and a toddler so I can’t take them out right now, but I think a treadmill while it’s their nap time will be a great thing for me.

I love my treadmill. I bought it on sale, and it's really basic, but gets the job done for sure. One thing that helped me the most was to set it up in my bedroom so when I wake up, it's the first thing I see. I have slip on running shoes so there is no excuse not to roll out of bed, slide into my shoes, and then start walking/running. 30 minutes works great for me, and I always watch a sitcom to keep my mind of the tedious chore of the treadmill, and it gets my blood pumping for the day!
    I initially had it in the living room and that lasted a few days before I started to ignore it.

• slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am not effective working out at home. I need to either run or go to the gym. For me with a long commute I find going to the gym before work, near work to be the best. I save myself commute time by driving in earlier and I get in to work at a very consistent time. Might not work for you but worth a shot. Working out on your lunch break can also be goo. Back when I carpooled with my husband, one of us would run home the 3 miles from the daycare to get in excercise.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat, I’m really considering buying a treadmill because I have a preemie and a toddler so I can’t take them out right now, but I think a treadmill while it’s their nap time will be a great thing for me.

I bought a treadmill on Black Friday and it has been so convenient! I have a preemie too (although not very premature, a 35 weeker). I hope your preemie is doing well. I have a special place in my heart for preemies.
    I’m considering just buying a used one for right now while I’m in the midst of house shopping! But yes he’s doing well! Thank you!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »

I bought a treadmill on Black Friday and it has been so convenient! I have a preemie too (although not very premature, a 35 weeker). I hope your preemie is doing well. I have a special place in my heart for preemies.

I bought a treadmill because I couldn't get out with my preemie (25 weeker) too

Had to then swap for an exercise bike on advice of my physio as the treadmill was the worst thing for my arthritis

I have a preemie and severe arthritis as well, but I was told it would help it if I walked and exercised all the time.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

I love my treadmill. I bought it on sale, and it's really basic, but gets the job done for sure. One thing that helped me the most was to set it up in my bedroom so when I wake up, it's the first thing I see. I have slip on running shoes so there is no excuse not to roll out of bed, slide into my shoes, and then start walking/running. 30 minutes works great for me, and I always watch a sitcom to keep my mind of the tedious chore of the treadmill, and it gets my blood pumping for the day!
    I initially had it in the living room and that lasted a few days before I started to ignore it.

I’m house shopping currently, and have my eyes set on a 7 bedroom house and using one room for my exercise equipment. I’m really considering buying a used one for the time being and especially so I don’t waste too much money if I don’t get a chance to use it or ignore it!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Here's my potentially unpopular opinion: replace the long commute.

I used to have a long commute in horrendous traffic. After I quit that job, I prioritized jobs with shorter and shorter commutes, and am now working from home. Sure, I could make more money if I was willing to commute into Boston or Providence, but I value my quality of life more than the extra money.

I agree with this completely. The biggest gift I can give myself for my health is time. I work from home two days a week and commute three. I'm working towards a full-time WFH gig. I might come with a pay sacrifice, but I also think I can cut some in other places to make up for it. I didn't realize how valuable my time was to me until I really decided my health was the most important thing in my life, because without it, everything else I love would also suffer due to my poor health.

If only I could convince hubby that I should quit my job and be a full-time trail runner. :D