What type of cardio is best for you

I am wondering what cardio works best for you. I mean what cardio exercise results in the most calories burn over a 15-30 min time. Broken down further I wonder which exercise burns the most calories per min for you. I have tried several different cardio workouts and for me kickboxing seems to be the most effective followed by the max trainer/air bike. I assume everyone will be different and intensity levels can vary but let’s
assume the intensity level is the same through the workout so not HIIT.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Why not HIIT? Per minute, for me, definitely stationary bike tabata, but that’s an extreme form of HIIT.

If you are measuring calorie burn by Fitbit or similar device, all of them have been studied in a lab and found to be about as accurate as guessing. So there’s really no way to know exactly how many calories you are burning at specific activities unless you’re in a lab which measures your oxygen uptake. Many people here have reported getting high estimated burns for folding laundry.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    For me I don't like to overdo my cardio, otherwise I suffer in other ways (lifting recovery and decreases in NEAT). I love my Max Trainer and cardio kickboxing to upbeat music.
  • julesdechaine
    julesdechaine Posts: 138 Member
    I enjoy kickboxing and treadmill sprinting intervals
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I’m no expert by any stretch of the imagination so please take this with a grain of salt :wink: I remember looking into trying to determine what exercises would give me more burn per minute as a way to maximize my time working out, that didn’t require much specialized equipment or a gym. I did some research and concluded that an exercise that brings both feet off the ground followed by landing back on the feet and then repeating this motion a number of consecutive times would burn the most calories per minute. In other words, things like running and jump roping. Consequently these are two of the most challenging exercises and require a lot of time and effort to ease into and perform. I tried running and after a lot of adjustments and time building up mileage I found I actually really enjoyed running and have stuck with it ever since. I’ve tried jump roping but that #*&@ is not easy! I tried easing into it with a program that had you jumping rope for like 30 seconds (seconds! this doesn’t sound like much but it seems like a long long time if you are jumping rope!) followed by a minute of rest then jumping again and so on and so forth until you built up and were able to jump for a whole minute, then two, three, etc. I did not enjoy the rope jumping so I haven’t stuck with it, but that really does burn a lot of calories in a short amount of time! I’ll just stick to running though because I enjoy it immensely :smile: YMMV
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i run

but the best one is the one that you will do. from hiking to swimming to zumba
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I don't exercise for the purpose of burning calories. I exercise and am otherwise active to stay healthy and fit. I enjoy cycling out on the road on my road bike, or hitting the trails on my CX bike, so cycling makes up the bulk of my exercise activity. I also enjoy hiking and doing a little rock climbing here and there. My exercise yesterday was playing basketball for an hour with my 9 year old.

Really, the best exercise is going to be the one you enjoy and will stick with long term...
  • Liftingat58
    Liftingat58 Posts: 508 Member
    edited March 2019
    The best for me is following some coach online but my favourite and it seems to be working is work two weight stations at the same time at the gym working different groups of muscles and just keep going back and forth with little or no rest.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    681t3iikajwr.png

I feel sorry for the paramedics having to stretcher those people away when they have their first heart attack.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Why not HIIT? Per minute, for me, definitely stationary bike tabata, but that’s an extreme form of HIIT.

If you are measuring calorie burn by Fitbit or similar device, all of them have been studied in a lab and found to be about as accurate as guessing. So there’s really no way to know exactly how many calories you are burning at specific activities unless you’re in a lab which measures your oxygen uptake. Many people here have reported getting high estimated burns for folding laundry.

Good information to know. I use an Apple Watch to track calories burned. I am currently in a cut phase for summer so i am trying to avoid HIIT in order to preserve my energy levels for lifting which includes several drop sets. I usually reserve HIIT for bulking to minimize fat gains. I’d like to find a place to get vO2 max tested but I have no idea where to go for that. Any suggestions?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    edited March 2019
    sijomial wrote: »
    681t3iikajwr.png

I feel sorry for the paramedics having to stretcher those people away when they have their first heart attack.

nvm.
  • MichaelK1007
    sardelsa wrote: »
    For me I don't like to overdo my cardio, otherwise I suffer in other ways (lifting recovery and decreases in NEAT). I love my Max Trainer and cardio kickboxing to upbeat music.

I agree lifting can be effected by too much cardio. Lifting for me is still and always will be first. I do really enjoy kickboxing and hitting the heavy bag but when I am short on time max trainer will have to do.
  • MichaelK1007
    I’m no expert by any stretch of the imagination so please take this with a grain of salt :wink: I remember looking into trying to determine what exercises would give me more burn per minute as a way to maximize my time working out, that didn’t require much specialized equipment or a gym. I did some research and concluded that an exercise that brings both feet off the ground followed by landing back on the feet and then repeating this motion a number of consecutive times would burn the most calories per minute. In other words, things like running and jump roping. Consequently these are two of the most challenging exercises and require a lot of time and effort to ease into and perform. I tried running and after a lot of adjustments and time building up mileage I found I actually really enjoyed running and have stuck with it ever since. I’ve tried jump roping but that #*&@ is not easy! I tried easing into it with a program that had you jumping rope for like 30 seconds (seconds! this doesn’t sound like much but it seems like a long long time if you are jumping rope!) followed by a minute of rest then jumping again and so on and so forth until you built up and were able to jump for a whole minute, then two, three, etc. I did not enjoy the rope jumping so I haven’t stuck with it, but that really does burn a lot of calories in a short amount of time! I’ll just stick to running though because I enjoy it immensely :smile: YMMV

Great information. I think you’re on to something with the whole feet off the ground. I did about an hour of half Court basketball and it about killed me. I am sure I burned a ton of calories and that was just half Court. Can’t image what full court would be like.
  • sijomial
    Cycling is best for me - I really enjoy it, it provide challenges and it doesn't hurt my damaged knees.

You are right that the highest burn isn't interval training including HIIT - that just feels hard but that's not indicative of actual high average calorie burn.

The biggest burn for me would be indoors on a bike trainer going as hard as I can maintain for the whole amount of time available with a flat out sprint at the end. Obviously that intensity varies with duration, what I can maintain for 20 mins is lower than I can maintain for an hour by about 5%.

In terms of really big burns (in the multiples of thousands) then you need very extended duration. That would be outdoor cycling as I can't tolerate too long indoors without getting bored - not an issue outside in beautiful countryside.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    I love the stair master, because I am a plodder.....I plod.
  • sijomial

@rheddmobile
    Except for cycling, rowing and running you can get pretty decent estimates by using physics not heartbeats. Measuring power output or using a formula to estimate mass X distance X common efficiency ratio.
  • MichaelK1007
    Cycling is best for me - I really enjoy it, it provide challenges and it doesn't hurt my damaged knees.

You are right that the highest burn isn't interval training including HIIT - that just feels hard but that's not indicative of actual high average calorie burn.

The biggest burn for me would be indoors on a bike trainer going as hard as I can maintain for the whole amount of time available with a flat out sprint at the end. Obviously that intensity varies with duration, what I can maintain for 20 mins is lower than I can maintain for an hour by about 5%.

In terms of really big burns (in the multiples of thousands) then you need very extended duration. That would be outdoor cycling as I can't tolerate too long indoors without getting bored - not an issue outside in beautiful countryside.

I used to love riding my road bike when I lived out in the country. The only thing on the road out there was the Amish Buggies. We moved in closer to the city and there really isn’t a safe place to ride. And it’s require so much time to load the bike up and ride for a few hours. Rather be in the gym lifting.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I am wondering what cardio works best for you. I mean what cardio exercise results in the most calories burn over a 15-30 min time. Broken down further I wonder which exercise burns the most calories per min for you. I have tried several different cardio workouts and for me kickboxing seems to be the most effective followed by the max trainer/air bike. I assume everyone will be different and intensity levels can vary but let’s

I dunno. This weekend I spent about 10 hours on ski trails. Mostly Saturday because the weather was perfect and the snow won't be around very long. Went back yesterday because it's really a lot of fun.

When that's over, it'll be hiking, road biking, and canoeing and kayaking. Can easily spend a day or half a week on a trail. :smiley:

I can burn a free hundred calories quickly, and then be pooped. But it's much better to find stuff I enjoy. I mean if the calories went in the other direction I'd still be doing this stuff. It doesn't work the other way though so a 4 hour bike ride comes to 2,000 calories and hopefully some cool scenery and fun hills along the way.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

For sure I experience this after a long day on the trail. Spent almost 6 hours skiing Saturday and again yesterday. Ran a few errands on the way home and then caught up on reading and other sedentary projects like teasing a cat with a laser pointer.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    If the intensity level is the same, then the calorie burn will be the same. Intensity (ie oxygen uptake) is what determines calorie burn (steady state exercise).
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Not sure about calories burned etc, but I prefer a 30-45 min steady run on a nice day with headphones compared to 15 minutes of HIIT any day lol. Plus, it's hard for most people to actually get to the level of intensity necessary to truly constitute HIIT without a trainer or someone pushing them.
  • llUsernamell
    llUsernamell Posts: 12 Member
    None. I get bored easily with whatever workout I'm doing (cardio and strength). At the moment, my chosen cardio workout is Planet Fitness' 30 minute circuit.
  • MichaelK1007
    Right now the best thing about my 30 min cardio sessions is that it gives me time to re-Watch GOT before season 8 starts. Lol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,948 Member
    edited March 2019
    Per minute or per half hour, the one I enjoy doing enough that I'll actually do it, instead of putting it off and skipping it as often as I can think of a lame excuse. For me, that's rowing, on water preferably.

@rheddmobile
    Except for cycling, rowing and running you can get pretty decent estimates by using physics not heartbeats. Measuring power output or using a formula to estimate mass X distance X common efficiency ratio.

To the bolded: Machine rowing, arguably true. Actual real rowing the old fashioned (and IMO more fun) way, in boats: Nuh uh. Very complicated physics, no standard efficiency ratio, hard to estimate even in singles let alone multi-rower shells.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I find gym cardio to be deathly boring, but it is has a place in my fitness routine. I’ve downloaded BitGym on my iPad and I get to tour streets in Paris or trails in the Sierra during my workout, which makes it bearable.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Honestly, there is no best. It all depends on your preferences and your goals. The only cardio I intentionally do is walk. A lot. At a decent pace. 4 to 5 miles per day at a 4 mph pace or better. When I've done cardio sports related things, I am fairly fit and can keep up just fine. I really like soccer and play that whenever I can. BTW, I'll turn 68 in mid May.

I like walking. I am not training for a marathon or some other sports related event. My primary fitness activity is weight training and there is some cardio benefit to that also. Right now, my fitness activities involve walking and body weight training as I am dealing with a family health crisis away from home and fitting in my workouts as I can. I am maintaining both my muscle mass and fitness doing this and that is all that matters right now.

I think there is a danger of looking for the "best" of anything because there are many paths to get to health and fitness and the important things is to find yours. The one that is sustainable and enjoyable for you. Because that is the one you will stick with.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,519 Member
    Personally, I go with what's convenient and what I enjoy ...

Cycling ... mostly
    Running
    Rowing
    Climbing Stairs

And whatever else I can fit in ... walking, hiking, swimming occasionally, etc.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member

For me it's running, because its something that I enjoy and something that I stick at. I burn around 10Calories a minute during a long run (I'm slow) and can keep going for 4hrs+.