Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Long Distance Running

I've been running for a year now but i have a really painful and embarrassing problem. I get to around 6km/7km and i get terrible cramp in my stomach which is often followed by a bowel movement, more often though, its diarrhoea.
I have been to the doctor and was prescribed imodium, but it doesn't work. I have tried different foods and cutting out foods before a run, the result is the same. I just don't know what to do.
Has anyone else had this problem? Or does anyone else have any tips for me to try?

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I take imodium instants before any long run/race.
    One an hour before I'm due to start, another 30min before and final one just before I run.
    It's a very common issue with longer distance runners, after all one of the simple remedies often given for constipation is to go for a walk.
    Don't eat anything new in the 24hours before a long run, or spicy
  • LyndaK32
    LyndaK32 Posts: 54 Member
    Thank you for replying 😊 i'll give the immodium a go again using the timings you gave, the doc only told me to take 'one before you run' which is probably why it didnt work lol
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    For me, I try to be careful about not eating fat, fiber, or a lot of sugar before a long run. Try going for bland and simple carbs. See what affects you and what doesn't. Maybe avoid dairy too?
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    edited March 2019
    Athletes tend to avoid fibre for 24-48 hrs prior to their race, you could see if it makes a difference.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    For my long runs, I usually don't run until after I have pooped. If I don't, then I get cramps and have to use the bathroom. I don't typically need immodium, I usually have a cup of coffee and wait.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    For my long runs, I usually don't run until after I have pooped. If I don't, then I get cramps and have to use the bathroom. I don't typically need immodium, I usually have a cup of coffee and wait.

I wouldn't go out without having pooped either.

I was running a half marathon a couple of years ago and as I was going for a pre race nervous wee a girl asked me where the toilets were, so I said I was going that way..

Her: I'm having a nightmare this morning!
    Me: oh no, why?
    Her: I haven't poohed yet...

I often wonder whether she got round or ended up $hitting her pants... :laugh:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited March 2019
    "Stomach" issues are a pretty common issue with nerves and the faster pace when racing. And the pre race pooh is a ritual, which is why the portable toilets at those events are usually some of the worst I've seen this side of Lollapalooza...

It sounds like this is every time you run though, and you've tried the usual suggestions of diet changes. Spicy foods or too heavy of a meal/too much fat the day before can cause issues for me. I will never once again have Indian food the day before my long run for a reason. Have you tried any changes in run timing or meal timing? Imodium is a common tactic before a race, but you shouldn't need it every time you run. How often are you running? What's your typical weekly mileage?

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member

This is key for me. I get up 90 minutes before I want to leave the house to make sure this happens. First thing I do when I wake up is get the coffee going so it can do its magic and wake up my bowels and get things moving. It's like clockwork for me.

I've also learned to take few wipes in a ziploc bag with me in case I need to dart into the woods.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member

I wouldn't go out without having pooped either.

I was running a half marathon a couple of years ago and as I was going for a pre race nervous wee a girl asked me where the toilets were, so I said I was going that way..

Her: I'm having a nightmare this morning!
    Me: oh no, why?
    Her: I haven't poohed yet...

I often wonder whether she got round or ended up $hitting her pants... :laugh:
    7lenny7 wrote: »

This is key for me. I get up 90 minutes before I want to leave the house to make sure this happens. First thing I do when I wake up is get the coffee going so it can do its magic and wake up my bowels and get things moving. It's like clockwork for me.

I've also learned to take few wipes in a ziploc bag with me in case I need to dart into the woods.

Yeah, I will literally go out late on a long run, or get up super early, over getting the runner-trots. I have had them once in my life....yup never again.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »

one of our trail races give wipes in the race packets. i had to explain to a newer runner. the horror on her face still makes me giggle
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I also often suffer from "runner's *kitten*" and take a double dose of loperamide before races. One of the doses is chewed up before swallowing in order to allow faster absorption. I'll also carry some with me for longer races like marathons because what I took beforehand could wear off.

For trail runs, carry a 'wag bag' (bag with lightweight trowel, toilet paper, and additional bag to pack out used paper). For road runs/races, know where the bathrooms are located.
  • IThinkICan_Dejay
    IThinkICan_Dejay Posts: 17 Member
    I have to 'go' before I can start a run. That means getting up at least an hour before running. I've also planned my long runs so there is a restroom along the route. (A neighborhood with new construction usually has portapotties that I'm not above using).
  • LyndaK32
    LyndaK32 Posts: 54 Member
    "Stomach" issues are a pretty common issue with nerves and the faster pace when racing. And the pre race pooh is a ritual, which is why the portable toilets at those events are usually some of the worst I've seen this side of Lollapalooza...

It sounds like this is every time you run though, and you've tried the usual suggestions of diet changes. Spicy foods or too heavy of a meal/too much fat the day before can cause issues for me. I will never once again have Indian food the day before my long run for a reason. Have you tried any changes in run timing or meal timing? Imodium is a common tactic before a race, but you shouldn't need it every time you run. How often are you running? What's your typical weekly mileage?

Hi there,

Apologies for the long delay in replying, I didn't get a notification that I had responses. I'm currently running once a fortnight for approx an hour. When I first started running, I was getting this after about ten mins but it seems the more I go out and run, the longer I can go without having to 'go'. I try to change it up in terms of my timing but it's difficult with a 2 year old. At the moment, I'm running every 2nd Thursday after work so around 5.30pm. I wonder if I should be running weekly rather than fortnightly and fingers crossed, this should ease off a bit. I have the immodium ready for tomorrow night ;)