Strengthening the chest as much as possible while losing weight?

Chest remains the muscle group that has the least amount of progress for me, and will likely remain relatively so until I near goal and I give myself more freedom to change the diet.

Even so, I would like to try to work in auxiliary exercises to strengthen it as much as I can. All other groups have seen really respectable growth in strength, that I am in general quite impressed with. I'm embarrassed by my bench, and if I could get that up to a plate a side with respectable reps (5+) by the time I can really work on gaining some muscle (at my current pace, about 3 months), I'll count that as a success there.

Currently, I have a split program that I go through twice every 8 days. On my Chest and tricep day I currently do:

Barbell bench press
Barbell incline bench press
Assisted dips
Machine flies
Tricep pushdowns
And some core exercises that I spread through all three of my weight training days

Currently, I'm thinking of adding:

Chest press
Dumbbell incline flies
Cable cross overs

If you have any thoughts or suggestions, let me know!

(Side note: I know in general you guys usually prefer a full body, simpler routine full of compound exercises, but I don't really enjoy the full body soreness quite as much, for me now a split program (with some compound exercises) is easier to handle.)

Replies

• DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    Try adding Decline Bench Press for lower chest.

Don't be embarrassed by your bench - who cares in the grand scheme of things? Just keep upping it gradually each week.

Best of luck
  • cynthialperkins
    cynthialperkins Posts: 15 Member
    As I understand it, muscle weighs more than fat, so the scale is not going to be your best friend here. Perhaps you want to start using measurements of waist, chest, neck and limbs to track your progress.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    As I understand it, muscle weighs more than fat, so the scale is not going to be your best friend here. Perhaps you want to start using measurements of waist, chest, neck and limbs to track your progress.

While this is true, logically it doesn't quite follow in calorie deficits, unless I'm missing something. Even if a person was getting leaner (which in a limited way, I am) your body is still using pretty much the entirety of your intake, and the resources from your body for energy to lose the weight. If you're not putting in more, it's not really possible for the weight loss to really slow down. Muscles can make people maintain water weight, I think, but that's about it yeah? Otherwise CICO doesn't make sense.
  • Spadesheart
    edited March 2019

Don't be embarrassed by your bench - who cares in the grand scheme of things? Just keep upping it gradually each week.

Best of luck

The decline bench is surprisingly uncommon at my gyms; only one of the 3 regular ones I go to have one permanently, that I wouldn't have to drag to a squat rack or something.

I know nobody cares, but it's such a weird problem! I keep getting a lot of functional strength everywhere else. Legs are dramatically stronger, followed by core, back, arms and then shoulders. But my chest remains weak. So weird!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    If you are looking to increase a particulat lift, than do more of that lift at the correct dosage.

Train with specificity and patience to your goal(s).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

Best of luck

The decline bench is surprisingly uncommon at my gyms

Some of the reasoning might be because many people already do a decline on a flat bench when they set up with a arch.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Starting Strength is my favorite beginner program. If you follow it- your bench will go up (along with your squat and deadlift). You're doing a huge amount of chest work... sounds like that of a professional bodybuilder.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Don't know how you are defining progress...chest size, chest definition, bench est. max, etc.?
    Slightly off topic/tangential: Triceps could use an overhead movement for long head development (a lot of beginners commonly do not incorporate such a movement as overhead triceps extensions, overhead tricep press, etc.)
  • Spadesheart
    Don't know how you are defining progress...chest size, chest definition, bench est. max, etc.?
    Slightly off topic/tangential: Triceps could use an overhead movement for long head development (a lot of beginners commonly do not incorporate such a movement as overhead triceps extensions, overhead tricep press, etc.)

Could I just do this at the cables somehow? That would be easy enough to incorporate. The plan initially had a barbell tricep extension, but I found the exercise really clunky, and felt kind of dangerous without more experience.

Right now progress is mostly just strength gains on my exercises. I don't really feel like guaging size or definition matters much as I still have a good amount of fat. If I have the strength, at least I'm in a much better position when I can actually build real muscle.
  • Spadesheart
    billkansas wrote: »
    Starting Strength is my favorite beginner program. If you follow it- your bench will go up (along with your squat and deadlift). You're doing a huge amount of chest work... sounds like that of a professional bodybuilder.

I do my squat and deadlift on my two other main days and both of those actually have improved dramatically, which is part of the reason why the bench is frustrating hahaha I just squatted 225 today, up from just the bar back at the start of February.

It feels like there just isn't as much latent natural potential on my chest, and it's going to need a lot more work than my other muscle groups.

I'm faaaaaar from anything professional. I just have the time right now to give it a good go haha
  • Keto_Vampire

Could I just do this at the cables somehow? That would be easy enough to incorporate. The plan initially had a barbell tricep extension, but I found the exercise really clunky, and felt kind of dangerous without more experience.

Right now progress is mostly just strength gains on my exercises. I don't really feel like guaging size or definition matters much as I still have a good amount of fat. If I have the strength, at least I'm in a much better position when I can actually build real muscle.

Hell, I actually do ALL cable movements for triceps exercises; less awkward vs dumbbells & barbells & no issues with feeling tension or having elbow issues/pain
  • Spadesheart

Hell, I actually do ALL cable movements for triceps exercises; less awkward vs dumbbells & barbells & no issues with feeling tension or having elbow issues/pain

I got 2 options on my tracker, better with the pulley overhead or down low?
  • Keto_Vampire

I think you are missing the point...for more long head triceps involvement - has to involve the shoulder joint - overhead.
  • Spadesheart

I think you are missing the point...for more long head triceps involvement - has to involve the shoulder joint - overhead.

No no, they're both overhead, it's just where you place the pulley. So you can have the pulley overhead, facing forward and pulling overhead, or below.
  • Keto_Vampire
    pulley down low for constant tension