Drs orders

Options
2»

Replies

• kytdkyt
    kytdkyt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Doctors are terrible about providing good nutritional advice. They aren't really knowledgeable in this area. You should ask him for a referral to a registered dietitian, and do as much research as you can on your own. The American Diabetes Association is a good starting point. Also the websites of hospitals like the Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I do. But I also work weird hours where I won’t get home til midnight or I won’t have eaten from 6 am until about 4 pm. So it’s more I’m afraid I’m going to mess it up by eating the things that he said not to eat, since it’s supposed to be fruits and veggies at night.

I think the “no late night eating” can stem from the fact that some folks can mindlessly nosh in the evening (after dinner) when they’re watching tv or on the computer.

If your late night eating is dinner (as opposed to snacking), the that’s likely not what the doctor meant. I eat dinner late, too. I workout after workout and usually don’t get home until 8-8:30. I’m not going to not eat because someone says I’m past a window of when I can eat. My dinner fits into my day.

Losing weight requires a calorie deficit. Meal timing doesn’t matter. Though it is important to be aware if you have a habit of night-time snacking. Think about how you can work that into your day. Maybe save 100 calories or so for that time and have something that satisfies you.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I reversed my prediabetes with a very low carb diet. My numbers were better within days. I followed Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Great book. Dr Richard Bernstein also makes many youtube videos.

I cut carbs by first eliminating added sugar and processed and refined carbs. Then I cut way back on root vegetables and sugary fruit. I ate under 20-30g of carbs from vegetables, nuts, seeds, coconut, olives and berries. Then I found that I felt better the fewer carbs I eat so I eat very few now. My BG is super steady.

Testing blood glucose is very helpful. I recommend getting a metre and using it to test before eating, and in 30 minute intervals after eating until you get a good feeling of whi h foods have a large effect in your bg.

Good luck.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    ok. My good friend was diagnosed with type 2 a couple of years ago. His doctor immediately prescribed pills, and gave no other advice. He researched himself what to do, and found Diabetes UK to be a helpful resource.

He has now reversed his diabetes completely, although is left with neuropathy in his feet. Here is what he did...

He started to get fit. He has lost a third of his body weight (he needed to...) through regular exercise, mainly cycling and walking. And by regular I mean daily.

He started counting calories (his guide of choice was the Hairy Bikers / Hairy Dieters books).

He reduced the amount of bread he ate, avoids baked goods, limits pasta and rice to the whole grain kinds and only eats them rarely, and increased the amount of green veg. He didn't really eat desserts or sweets in the first place, but did drink a LOT of beer. He now has occasional wine or a gin and tonic instead.

You are not in the bad state he was in. You can do this.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    When my husband was diagnosed we signed up for a series of classes at a local hospital. They educated us on what exactly diabetes was, what affected it, and how to eat properly. What really registered with us was the instructor handing around a series of clear testubes filled with sugar corresponding to how much was in a serving of soda, a snickers, Oreos, and even no sugary foods. It was eye opening.

• tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

Why can't you eat fruits and veg at night? .

Didn't you know that after the sun goes down, your body will store all carbs as fat. :p
  • sharon8271
    sharon8271 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My Doctor told me two years ago that I was close to developing diabetes. The doctor made an appointment for me to see a nutritionist. I started working on portion control and slowly cut out junk food. I started going for daily walks. Then, I started going to the gym for cardio and strength training. This month I got a check up and my a1c is now normal as well as my weight. So I think seeing a nutritionist would help you tremendously. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I was pre-diabetic when I started years ago. Eating late has nothing to do with anything...I eat late every night. My numbers improved with weight loss...regular exercise was a big help as well. I did reduce my carbohydrates and particularly sugar as I was drinking anywhere from 3-6 full sugar sodas daily. I didn't go low carb, I just moderated them and made better choices like more veg and fruit, legumes, lentils, etc.