A good night sleep?

Options
Monkeyfreck
Monkeyfreck Posts: 65 Member
edited March 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I’ve been watching my sleep schedule carefully lately. I’ve never been one to really look after my sleep hygiene - I’ve usually been up to all hours and not rested.

Of course I notice improvements but I’m curious if anyone has noticed this contribute to weight loss success?

Combined with proper hydration, I fee like a king!

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    When I’m tired, I tend to make poorer food choices (higher calorie, less satiety). I also talk myself out of exercise because tired. Sleep is crucial for me.

I have a few tricks. One is to not psych myself out about time. My alarm goes off on weekdays at the same time (app on old phone) and the phone stays face down. I do not look at the time. No visible clocks in the bedroom. Because then I start thinking “now, I’m only going to get x hours of sleep.” I have blackout drapes, and music plus white noise to keep extraneous things from waking me up. Also invested in super comfy bedding.

I also don’t look at my fitness tracker app first thing when I sync because I can feel good, then see how little sleep I got and instantly feel more tired.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Don't know about weight loss success, but when I am tired (as in - have not slept a minimum of 8 hours) I tend to get really hungry - like I need food to keep me going because so tired.

I always try to make sure I get minimum 8 hours. 8 1/2 better and 9 even better. But that's just me - I need all the sleeps. 830pm to 530am is my sweet spot.

One thing that has improved my sleep dramatically, is to tape mouth shut. Soooo goood.

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Good sleep definitely helps with weight loss. Poor sleep increases cortisol which also increases appetite.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight with and without good sleep. However when I wasn't sleeping regularly (2-5h per night) I was nursing around the clock so that helped maybe? But when I don't sleep well my workout performance isn't great so it may affect body composition to a degree.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It may contribute indirectly. If I'm sleeping poorly, I also have less energy to work out.
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I was tired all the time. I went for a sleep evaluation and discovered I suffered from apnea, gasping for air every two minutes and snoring constantly. I never went into REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, the deepest state. I also had Restless Leg Syndrome. I was constantly moving my legs. I didn’t know all this because I was “sleeping”. On top of that, my blood glucose was constantly high, causing me to wake up every two hours or so to hit the can. I’ve since remedied these problems. I fall asleep within minutes of getting comfortable and get at least six hours solid sleep every time I go to bed. The only thing that will cause me to lose sleep these days is going to bed with a full stomach.

How does loss of sleep affect weight loss

I find that I'm much more active during the day after a good nights sleep.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You may be interested in reading the book Why We Sleep. Very interesting reading. Also kind of disturbing thinking about how many of us are sleep deprived.
  • Monkeyfreck
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    You may be interested in reading the book Why We Sleep. Very interesting reading. Also kind of disturbing thinking about how many of us are sleep deprived.

A couple of people mentioned this book. I’m going to pick it up today, will make for good weekend reading. Looking forward to it.
  • lambcruiser
    lambcruiser Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Too many people are sleep deprived :/ I don't know how people haul themselves out of bed at the crack of dawn to go to work and juggle so many responsibilities. The work week should be shorter.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    my sleep improved when i lost weight, i also stopped snoring
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I have noticed how sleep affects my exercise recovery. Since I have worn a device that tracks sleep I notice that when I get 8+ hours of sleep my RHR goes down between 47-51 bpm. If I get 6-6 1/2 hours for a couple of days my RHR is 57-60. I will notice I have less energy for hard efforts on the bike as well. As far as weight loss I cannot point to a noticeable difference.
  • Monkeyfreck
    Options
    I have noticed how sleep affects my exercise recovery. Since I have worn a device that tracks sleep I notice that when I get 8+ hours of sleep my RHR goes down between 47-51 bpm. If I get 6-6 1/2 hours for a couple of days my RHR is 57-60. I will notice I have less energy for hard efforts on the bike as well. As far as weight loss I cannot point to a noticeable difference.

Thats interesting because when I look at my trends historically, I am seeing a similar pattern. It makes sense, if you are well reseted and recovered then you are going to have less stress on the body.

Also - I love sleep!
  • Monkeyfreck
    Options
    Too many people are sleep deprived :/ I don't know how people haul themselves out of bed at the crack of dawn to go to work and juggle so many responsibilities. The work week should be shorter.

I think this is true in many ways.
    On the other hand, I don't necessarily related getting up early with being sleep deprived. This is something that I think is more about balance and managing "sleep debt". Basically having a consistent schedule (for the most part) so that you are not getting into a situation where you have to try *catch up* on sleep.