How to start lifting when you can't lift the barbell?

Options
Yup you heard that right i cant even get the barbell off the squat rack.. I* tried* to start the 5x5 strong-lift program but i cant even pick it up.

Background information
Height: 5'6"
Current Weight: 113.8lbs
Diet: TDEE-25% but switching to maintenance within the next 2 weeks

Current Workout Plan: Kettle-bell (15lbs) +Cardio circuit training for 50min 4 times a week, 4-8mile walks 3 times a week, hiking or kayaking on the weekends and i play lacrosse a couple times a month.

Help? Advice? Any easier beginner lifting programs out there?

Replies

• born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    baby steps. Try the 5lb-10lb dumbbells and work your way up.

There are a ton of girls who cant lift 25lbs here at work and yet they want a raise. Pssshht lol jk jk
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    ^yep, go with dumbbells first or maybe pushups to start and build up more strength
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You can start with barbells. Just hold them in your hands for now.

If you are at a gym, they will often have curl bars that are lighter than an Olympic bar--you can try squatting with one of those.

You can also do air squats for volume; that builds some stamina, which you probably don't have at the moment. And look for a Roman bench in your gym to strengthen your back--the exercise is called back extensions or back hyperextensions.

Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    They have smaller pre weighted curl bars that are lower in weight that you can use.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    They have smaller pre weighted curl bars that are lower in weight that you can use.

Danny beat me to it. Barbells weigh 45 pounds but you should be able to find a 25 pound preloaded bar in your gym. Unless you have unusually wide shoulders they should suffice for a few weeks while your body adapts to supporting the load
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    I already have some basic free weight moves down for upper and lower body. I guess i can just be patient and wait till i can move up to the higher weights with those before i try to get all beastly.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options

Danny beat me to it. Barbells weigh 45 pounds but you should be able to find a 25 pound preloaded bar in your gym. Unless you have unusually wide shoulders they should suffice for a few weeks while your body adapts to supporting the load

Well thankyou kindly sir.. and i would like to support your load :flowerforyou:
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My gym had a 15lb barbell and I had to start with that. See if your gym has one and if not, just start with dumbbells as someone else suggested and work up to the barbell weight.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I was totally terrified of that being something that I would have to contend with so my Fitness Harpy (PT) started me with 5lb then 10lb dumbbells . Now I may not be super strong, but I can use the barbell with 20lbs on them. Makes me happy.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

escalated.gif
  • lostdogg
    lostdogg Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    All good answers. Lighter curl bars, dumbells, resistance bands. All good starts. The key, sick with it. :smile:
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options

escalated.gif
    Aint nobody got time for being subtle
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If they don't have the lighter barbells...do dumbbells.

You can find a bunch of alternative dumbbell exercises.

Examples:

Instead of barbell squats....you can start off with dumbbell goblet squats, sumo squats, and Bulgarian squats.

Instead of deadlifts - dumbbell deadlifts, cable deadlifts and single leg deadlifts.

Instead of OHP - shoulder press

Bodybuilding.com has a great exercise database you can search.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I, personally, would start with bodyweight squats, then move up to the preloaded bar and eventually the full barbell.
  • whierd
    Options

escalated.gif
    Aint nobody got time for being subtle

At least you are honest
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    My Kettle-bell workouts are incredibly complete, set up by a trainer friend of mine
    Including but not limited to:
    Goblet squats and many different variations of squats
    Deadlifts+single leg deadlifts
    shoulder press
    bent rows

Idk i am just more so looking for a step up from my kettlebell workout
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Body weight workout?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

ETA: Oh, I see... you're already working with weights, just not the full weight of a barbell. Never mind, but leaving the link here for lurkers.
  • whierd
    Options
    My Kettle-bell workouts are incredibly complete, set up by a trainer friends of mine
    Including but not limited to:
    Goblet squats and many different variations
    Deadlifts+single leg deadlifts
    Also do shoulder press

Idk i am just more so looking for a step up from my kettlebell workout

So you are already doing kettlebell workouts and still cannot squat the bar?

What part of the squat movement are you having trouble with?
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about how much the weight weighs, focus on what's heavy for you. If you can't do the big barbell so what? That's 45 lbs, opt for less weight and build your way up.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

[img]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/maizepaw/GIF Spam/ake7hh.gif[/img]