What counts as a peanut?

Options
One of my favorite snacks is unsalted peanuts, but the listings never clarify how they are defining a peanut. Is a shell with 1-3 nuts inside 1 peanut, or does a typical shell with 2 nuts inside count as 2 peanuts?

Replies

• bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a scale handy; a 30oz serving of peanuts (raw) has 161 calories. So, if you have a 2 pound bag of nuts, lay them all out on the table and count them. Divide the total number of nuts by 32 (the number of ounces in 2 pounds). You then count out that number of nuts and now you have a 30oz serving containing 161 calories. Further division can be used to find a number of nuts with fewer calories if required.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    bjdw_1977 wrote: »
    If you don't have a scale handy; a 30oz serving of peanuts (raw) has 161 calories. So, if you have a 2 pound bag of nuts, lay them all out on the table and count them. Divide the total number of nuts by 32 (the number of ounces in 2 pounds). You then count out that number of nuts and now you have a 30oz serving containing 161 calories. Further division can be used to find a number of nuts with fewer calories if required.

Wayyyyy too much work, in my opinion. :) Op, if you don't have one, buy a scale. Nuts and nutter butters are calorie dense and it's more accurate to weigh them.

But I would assume in a pinch that one peanut is defined as the actual peanut and not including the shell. Kinda like peanut m&ms. :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Oh, if only 30 oz of peanuts had 161 calories. I'd be in the bag all day.

^exactly! 1 oz has 160 calories and that’s not very many peanuts 🙁
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Weigh the actual nuts

x100
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks is unsalted peanuts, but the listings never clarify how they are defining a peanut. Is a shell with 1-3 nuts inside 1 peanut, or does a typical shell with 2 nuts inside count as 2 peanuts?

I would previously have counted a shell with two nuts as two peanuts, but I have since gotten a digital food scale and don't have to worry about things like that anymore, or how tightly to pack measuring cups, or washing measuring cups and spoons. :)
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Oh, if only 30 oz of peanuts had 161 calories. I'd be in the bag all day.

Ooops. I was trying to decide whether to use metric or American (1oz is 30g) and I confuddled myself. Yes, a serving is 1oz or 30g (28.35 to be exact).

Please DO NOT eat 30 ounces of peanuts (4,830 calories).

Unless you really want to, then go ahead.