Weights/recovery

Options
I've just started weights, but it's taking 2-4 days to recover after a session. I cant remember if this is normal or if I'm pushing too hard?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    which program are you following?
  • kymmixxx
    kymmixxx Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    None just doing my own thing :D
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    As long as you take proper rest, it's is okay to workout while you still have some soreness (let common sense be your guide if how sore is too sore). It always used to take me a while to recover when I first started. If you stick with it, the soreness will go away faster and recovery will be quicker. Now I rarely feel much soreness after most workouts.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    People shouldn't fully recover from lifting weights.

The process involves building up useful stress to disrupt homeostasis causing our body to adapt and acclimate to better handle more stress.

Any of the programs in the link above will do this if you are untrained.

After 2-4 months depending on how you respond to training you will better off finding more advanced programming.

I personally wouldn't recommend only maybe two of the programs listed in the link after you complete you first run because they are suboptimal for most people.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Just started" is a great reason (and need) to take more recovery time, the need will reduce as you get more accustomed to exercise.

Remember that rest and recovery are not the same thing, gentle exercise can really help when you are sore.
  • kymmixxx
    kymmixxx Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank u for replies, I'm going to read through the links posted above properly when I finish work later. I'm still doing cardio inbetween weight days, I just cant remember how long it took me to work up strength in the past etc
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    kymmixxx wrote: »
    None just doing my own thing :D
    I was going post same question...started working out about 2 weeks ago..I mix weights/floor stuff, yoga and cardio
    yesterday I did yoga only and today my left bicep is so sore (nothing else is an issue)
    I was planning to do dance cardio and weights today, and I was able to push through it...not sure if that was the right move?