What to have with breakfast-any suggestions?

Options
Only looking to gain weight. Not body building. Don’t have milk unfortunately. Or eggs. So when I do manage to get up n eat it’ll have to be dry cereal. I also have apple sauce. ..... But my calorie intake for breakfast lunch n dinner needs to be tight. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner each has to be 609 calories. And only 203 at minimum for snacks. What else could I do? Don’t have much breakfasty stuff here.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Can you add some granola to your morning cereal?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you want. Why do you have to be so strict with the calories for your meals?

Toast, granola bars, yogurt. Are you in a dorm? Can you get a mini-fridge? Otherwise cereal or higher cal protein bars, meal shakes (the ones that don't have to be refrigerated), roasted nuts, dried fruit.
  • Stephany11202019
    Stephany11202019 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I’m not being strict. I need to gain weight so I need more calories per day. I saw the option to “set calorie goals per meal” and thought that would be helpful because my calorie goal per day is probably bigger than what I usually get. Hence it’s bigger than what I’m used to. So I opted in for that. And it sets numbers automatically. I just got this app and don’t know much about that setting. But let me go back n find out what it’s called really quick.
  • Stephany11202019
    Options
    Here’s a screenshot of what I was talking about.
  • Stephany11202019
    Options
    But k4q3u73ntlnk.png
  • Stephany11202019
    Options
    Brick cheese and crackers (was planning on using that for snacks...)
    One cup of mandarins (that’s actually not expired)
    Bead (guess I could have toast with Peanut Butter)
    Cream cheese.... but not beagles.
    Pepperoni
    4different kids of jams.
    Forgot I have silk (we got it for our friend when he came over) I could probably use that instead of milk.

Hmmmm what else.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    is eating the same amount at each meal the most comfortable plan for you though?

my evening meal is twice the size of my breakfast and lunch for example, as that works best for me?
  • Stephany11202019
    Options
    I was figuring I could spread breakfast out. Like have a couple or a few things. And then a half an hour or an hour later have some more of something for breakfast. And try and get as close to that number as possible. But not like overdo it where it’s like I don’t know 4 o’clock and I’m still having breakfast stuff.And I do the same thing for lunch and dinner. You see one of the problems is we don’t have a lot in our fridge right now we need to go grocery shopping this Thursday. Any other thing that I know would help is getting things that are very high in calories. Like not unhealthy high in calories but like compact with protein and stuff.
  • Stephany11202019
    Options
    I did find a high calorie cereal though. 190 for Raisin bran crunch. Gonna have 3 cups of that. Was aiming for 1 pint in my measuring cup but I ended up with 3 cups. So I’m just gonna go with that. I usually have a big bowl of cereal anyways and it fills up two smaller sized bowls. And I’m hungry so it works. I will keep your thoughts about smaller calories in morning n increase as day goes by though. If I can’t seem to do it this way I can always try that.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    I’m not being strict. I need to gain weight so I need more calories per day. I saw the option to “set calorie goals per meal” and thought that would be helpful because my calorie goal per day is probably bigger than what I usually get. Hence it’s bigger than what I’m used to. So I opted in for that. And it sets numbers automatically. I just got this app and don’t know much about that setting. But let me go back n find out what it’s called really quick.

Oh I wasn't sure if you were on a meal plan of some sort. Also I've never seen that option so I'd imagine you have the paid version of the app. I would find a calorie distribution that works best for you to keep your appetite up. For me that is a small breakfast, medium lunch and huge dinner (and lots of snacks in between) you have to see what works for you, if that is the same cals each meal then sure go for it.

When you get shopping again definitely get nuts, nut butters, granola, full fat yogurt.. those will pack a punch, they are good to have on hand and are easy to grab and snack on all day.
  • Stephany11202019
    Options
    The “hug” is love button to you. They don’t have that so I just clicked heart hug. Thanks for the shopping suggestions. N btw. Granola. .... isn’t that a container with granola in it? I’ve never used it before but have a sense what it is. Do you think I’d find that in the cereal section?
  • Stephany11202019
    Options
    N also. How did you do that stephany11202019 wore “”?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    N also. How did you do that stephany11202019 wore “”?

You press the "Quote" button under the post you want to quote
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Yea you can find it in a box or in a bag, usually in the cereal section. Check out the calories on it though.. amazing. You can even make your own if you wanted by mixing oats, nuts, seeds with a bit of honey and nut butter then roasting it in the oven. You can even freeze it for a rainy day :)
  • Stephany11202019
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Oh yeah. Also. I forgot about this, but when I eat a lot of food at once I get tired. After having all that cereal I was reminded of that effect on my body. That goes away after your stomach adjusts to the more calories your taking in, right? It can be hard to differentiate normal and not normal. Like when I eat out after my 2nd plate I’m usually tired. ...... N I’m not one of those people that has a plate piled (hight) like a tower with stuff. Just use every surface of the plate n stack a little bit if I need room for like an egg roll or something.

The tiredness is not a problem rn because I just recently lost my job. But maybe until my stomach gets bigger (as in capacity it can take in) it might be beneficial to have my bigger meals in the afternoon.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Sometimes... try splitting up your meals if it becomes an issue. Take calorie increases slow... don't have to shove food in all at once. Slow and steady, let your body adjust.
  • Stephany11202019
    Options
    Ok. Thank you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I did find a high calorie cereal though. 190 for Raisin bran crunch. Gonna have 3 cups of that. Was aiming for 1 pint in my measuring cup but I ended up with 3 cups. So I’m just gonna go with that. I usually have a big bowl of cereal anyways and it fills up two smaller sized bowls. And I’m hungry so it works. I will keep your thoughts about smaller calories in morning n increase as day goes by though. If I can’t seem to do it this way I can always try that.

Weighing your food is a lot more accurate
  • Stephany11202019
    Options
    Trust me. I drove myself crazy over accuracy last night. Those meat packages at time say carried instead of the amount of servings in a package. I had 4 chicken breast tenderloins left. N they were on the smaller side. I’m not super knowledgeable into cooking measuring when it comes to “eyeing” meat. N I just wanted to make sure it was at least 4oz (a serving size) if I couldn’t figure out it exact. I’m not looking for exactness in the food that already has nutritional information attached to it (unless of coarse that nutritional information is wrong (when you scan the bar code). I’m just looking to have a starting gage. You have to start somewhere and I’m starting with the barcode readings n counting my calories.

But I will tell you this. I am planning on getting a weight for my meat/food etc. Because trying to figure that meat out last night was beyond frustrating. And I still need to get a scale for myself. Left old one at mine n my boyfriend’s old apartment by mistake.
  • msurkus
    msurkus Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you’re not big on eating in the morning you can always stop by GNC or your local nutrition store and get a weight gainer product. I wish I had your problems.