Use the word "calories" and everybody loses their minds

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
I often forget how far I've come in the 3 years maintaining weight since I lost 80lb.

At home and at work people have slowly got used to me not eating every single thing I'm offered due to sometimes not having enough calories left in my daily/weekly limit.

I sometimes forget how so many people freak out when you mention the word "calories" as if they think you mean starvation and debilitating OCD and spending 5 hours a day scribbling figures in a bookkeeping ledger.

Have you encountered that reaction too?

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    i encounter it almost on the daily. lots of eye rolls and sneering looks. i now just say "it won't fit today" if i'm offered something. I still get an eye roll though. TBH i don't really care
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I would agree with this, but note that it is getting better. I never offered advice unless asked, but as soon as I mentioned calories - or God forbid - the counting of the calories...then the eyes glaze over, the mind and body go slack... So you do keto? So you no do keto?

Recently though I've seen a number of people using MFP or similar tool. I hear "how many calories does that have?" more often. Of course this is only my n=1.

Taking a step back it's amazing to see just how much misinformation and disinformation is out there designed for weight management failure - much of this coming from our alleged "trusted" institutions.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Honestly at my workplace when the topic has come up people are not against it at all. I've only had one person say they could not be bothered to track calories but everyone else does not try to argue with me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Nope - never met anyone IRL that freaked out or lost their mind when the word calories was mentioned.

Had some odd comments (it's easy for you, you can't eat that when you are dieting, good calories/bad calories, yes but you exercise etc.) but no extreme reactions. Mostly just a reasonable debate.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never had it come up in conversation. But I'm a SAHM, I'm not offered food often, and because I'm breastfeeding and active it's usually within my limits, so I don't turn down much. Soda I guess, I take diet or water.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Beyond being accused of eating like a bird during work lunches (sort of true - I'm not a fan of stuffing myself and then trying to stay awake all afternoon in a boring conference room) people rarely comment on my eating habits. Thankfully.