Use the word "calories" and everybody loses their minds

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Lol actually no. Most people I ever discuss weight loss or weight management with is aware of calories, not that they all count them. But for me to say something like "this donut probably has like 300 calories!" is not unusual and doesn't spark outrage. My coworker just says "why don't you go look that up and let me know" But I don't typically say things like "no I don't think I will eat that, I have already eaten too many calories today" :D I just say "no thanks"
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    I generally just tell people that I'm eating less and exercising more. A few people know I use MFP to track everything, but only because they've expressed an interest in how I've lost weight. It's clearly working , so no-one questions it.

Right now, I can decline chocolate, cake and biscuits on offer in the office because "I've given them up for Lent". No-one bats an eyelid at that. After Easter, I'll have "got used to not eating them and don't really fancy anything sweet". Hopefully I can keep that up for quite a while.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    smms0714 wrote: »
    I just remembered something!

I remember having the TV on in the background very early one morning and one of those entertainment news type shows was on and they were talking to celebrities about how they manage their weight. Kate Hudson said she used MFP.

We could all just say we're using some Hollywood diet tip we picked up! :p

ETA: I remember Kate saying she maintains on 1800 calories and logs and knows as long as she sticks to that, she's good.

Yes! Now the WW group at my office won't look at me like I'm crazy for saying I just watch my calories, and try to walk more.

Hahaha, yep, people will change their mind and want to do it if a Hollywood star does it.

But we're all obsessive if we are doing it otherwise.
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Yivs_87 wrote: »
    As for the younger generation... They want the magic pill. And counting calories requires some sort of commitment and making it a habit.

That's a people thing. Most people of all ages would rather have it easy than hard; especially, when it comes to weight.

I guess you're right. And guess a lot of things in our everyday lives have been designed to make everything easier than it used to be, so we are getting more and more used to having easy solutions to hard problems.
  • christinefensky
    christinefensky Posts: 5 Member
    I have learned many times over not to divulge too much information to people, friends, co-workers, etc. There is always that one person or group, who feels the need to poo-poo your strategy. I've had people insert their opinions in a not so helpful way. We don't need negativity when we are all trying to find a way that works best for us. The less they know, the less stressful it is for you. That is not to say you shouldn't share your journey with anyone, just be careful. I know from experience, it takes only one person to derail me and then I am right back at ground zero.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Johnd2000 wrote: »
    The best conversation killer I’ve found is mentioning that the first thing I did was stop drinking. I never get asked what the second thing was. 😂
    Yup, I figured that out months ago and it shuts the conversation down like no other. Makes me happy.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Johnd2000 wrote: »
    The best conversation killer I’ve found is mentioning that the first thing I did was stop drinking. I never get asked what the second thing was. 😂

@Johnd2000, what was the second thing? :wink:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I've been using MFP nearly 4 years. A few years ago a workmate got me to help her set up MFP, but she didn't even enter one item after that. But now she always checks the calorie count on the packaged foods she has, even though she doesn't log things. It takes some people a while to come to grips with.

I think I confused a few people last week in the freezer section of the supermarket. Some men were having a conversation about how expensive the [Halo top generic brand] icecream was for its size, and were saying, "Who would buy that?", and I reached and got some, and said that "I would, because it's got 5 times less calories" than a regular tub of icecream near it. They were like, "Huh, it's got less fat?"

• reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    I don't think anyone outside of my family has ever asked how I lost weight. Those who I've met since generally will sigh and smile at my smaller or different choices and acknowledge that they ought to be doing the same.

As for my family, I have a thick skin and can take their good-natured mocking of my food scale. :lol:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    nope but then again I don't say no I can't becasue I don't have enough calories....doesn't seem to be a point to that statement.

I usually just say no thanks...if asked why I tell them why...not hungry, don't feel like it, doesn't look good etc.

I say no because I don't want it not because I can't eat it and using that word "can't" indicates an issue...

You can eat anything and then work it off if you so choose or don't work it off....and give up something else later.

I