"You don't need to lose any more" - "You don't want to be too thin"

Options
How far from goal were you when you started to hear these sorts of comments?

I'm down from 252lb to 219lb with a goal of 200 (6'4", M) and it's started.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i get this a lot from those close to me. i'm 5'1, 116ish. i've also been severely obese most of my life though. and i admit food is sorta all consumming right now and i need to "relax" about it to an extent (for my own good).

i'm small but all my weight is in legs and arms so they dont necessarily see that.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My husband gets this from my mom. She mostly says it to me though. He is 5'11" and usually is around 167-170 (recently at 173 so wants to drop a couple). I simply tell her that he's at the to end of his healthy bmi. I think he looks really good. He even still has a little belt and comments are made. Although she does also compliment him and tell hope good he looks and how impressed she is.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »
    5'5 was 182 lbs right before delivering my son in December. Am now 138 lbs and I have been receiving these comments since I was around 150 lbs. I still am wanting to get down to 125-130 lbs.

Im same height as you and 156 today. Once I hit the 150s I get comments how "thin" I look. I think it's how I am built. Maybe the same for you. I am very evenly distributed. I lose weight all over evenly. So yeah, I do look pretty ok at 150. And I can only imagine how I would look at 138. 138 is my goal weight.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    By the way. That is a compliment in my book.
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    Options
    smile and nod, just smile and nod...

This.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I'm 220lb down from 387lb
    I'm also a 5ft 2 female so still about 80lb to go
    I've been getting the "you need to stop" comments from friends for the last 30lb. I think they are just so used to me being massive

My physio now swears blind that I'm not fat when I mention that I know some of my pain MIGHT improve with more weight loss

Most folks I just smile and tell them I'll think about what they've said
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    paulbrttn wrote: »
    How far from goal were you when you started to hear these sorts of comments?

I'm down from 252lb to 219lb with a goal of 200 (6'4", M) and it's started.

It’s funny, now that society is more accepting and it’s trendy to be more fuller... now I’m getting that “ why do you need to lose more weight rah rah” comments. I’m a 128lbs shorty, wanting to be between 115lbs- 120lbs, going by what I feel comfortable with.

Congrats on your weight loss.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    smile and nod, just smile and nod...

Yep, especially when these comments only ever came from those that were overweight themselves. Those that were a healthy weight only ever had positive things to say.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I've only heard those comments from people who were overweight themselves - I have not heard those comments from fit, healthy people.

Take a moment to think (and look at) who is making those comments. Are they likely to be someone who has a good idea of what "healthy" is, or not? Their friends and family can be another indication...if they are all "plump" then a normal weight will look "too thin" to them, especially on someone who they are used to looking like themselves.