Feeling guilty about skipping the gym

I got very little sleep last night dealing with my very sick BullMastiff, so I did not go to the gym this morning. Today is not a weight training day but I had planned to do cardio for at least 45 minutes; I'm feeling very guilty about not dragging myself out of bed on time to get to the gym....
Maybe a long walk when I get home from work will help alleviate that. The gym opened 3 weeks ago and this is the first weekday that I have missed :'(
Anyone else dealing with some guilt this week?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I think the guilt come from the fear that if you skip, you'll keep skipping and the habit will be lost. That's how it feels with me, at least.

I suppose I feel bad this week for not switching to 1/2 pound per week sooner. I think I was pushing myself and I could feel myself struggling.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    ^^This. Just get back at it tomorrow. Life is too short for guilt trips. Hope your puppy is doing better.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    Guilt is one of the most powerful enemies we have in our transformation. It does us no good and is a stumbling block to our success. Missing days is a natural part of the process. Life happens. The key is just being able to brush it off and not feel like you failed. Get back tomorrow if you can, and if you can't tomorrow, then the next day.

My original plan was to work out starting from last Thursday every day through yesterday. That didn't happen. Thursday I got my workout in, but hurt my hand so no workout Friday and Saturday. Sunday I got my workout in (long hike), but Monday I was too sore to do anything and needed to focus on recovering. Yesterday I did a different, more modified workout than I had planned because I still wasn't back to full strength. But today I am going back to my normal planned workout. Just keep moving forward, and you will be okay. It's only when we let these little speed bumps derail us that it becomes an issue.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    I once took a rest day from 1997 to 2003.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Life happens. Yes, I struggle with missed days and guilt, but on the other hand, I now see my gym time as a longterm commitment. I like how my workouts make me feel, and I like the results. I have also learned that an extra rest day (and the occasional rest week) can be beneficial, and I can come back stronger and in a better state of mind.

One day here and there will not make or break your fitness journey. Take a walk, do some stretching, put away the guilt. Sometimes other things demand your attention.
  • Almagreatness
    Almagreatness Posts: 35 Member
    What matters is how you finish is what I tell.myself when I miss cause life takes over busy days, and missing gym. I make myself go make it up..then I feel better❤️
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I once took a rest day from 1997 to 2003.

lol!
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    Thanks for the support and advice, everyone! I was in the gym bright and early this morning and I had a really good workout!
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    ^^This. Just get back at it tomorrow. Life is too short for guilt trips. Hope your puppy is doing better.

Thanks, my pup is still at the vet's....she refuses to eat so now she's getting IV fluids :(
  • JustAMurmur
    JustAMurmur Posts: 7,867 Member
    Sending love and well wishes to your puppy. ♥ Life happens to everyone and messes up plans...but it's OK. Don't be so hard on yourself. You'll be back to regular programming in no time. Hugs!
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    I had to skip the gym this week due to house moving. I feel guilty but I have been keeping busy by working outdoor and doing some heavy lifting. I have been breaking a sweat and been tired, so its not too bad.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited March 2019
    Oh no! Hope your puppy feels better!
    Keep in mind, that exhaustion exists for a reason. Stress and lack of sleep took thier toll on you, and if you were too tired to workout, it probably means you need rest more than excercise. One or two days won't derail you, especially if you take that walk, as long as you go back as soon as you are able.
    The same goes for getting sick or injured. Work lighter when your body needs to concentrate on healing, or you will be suffering much longer.
    Just don't use it as an excuse to stop altogether for more thsn absolutely necessary. It's kind of a delicate balance, lol.