Divorce

Options
thereshegoesagain
thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
I picked up my final divorce decree today. My friends are all congratulating me, I don't know how to respond.
Even though it was my decision, I'm saddened that my 20+ year relationship didn't last. Any connection we had was lost, never to be found again despite therapy. I still say he's a good man, just not the man for me anymore.
All I want is my friends to wish that both of us find the happiness we both deserve, but they want a big f'ing party or something.

Replies

• IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I picked up my final divorce decree today. My friends are all congratulating me, I don't know how to respond.
    Even though it was my decision, I'm saddened that my 20+ year relationship didn't last. Any connection we had was lost, never to be found again despite therapy. I still say he's a good man, just not the man for me anymore.
    All I want is my friends to wish that both of us find the happiness we both deserve, but they want a big f'ing party or something.

((Hug)) It’s a loss, but also a course change where hopefully adventure awaits. Take it a day at a time. It’s ok to grieve, be neutral and pause.
  • Nini_applebum
    Nini_applebum Posts: 44 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I completely understand how you feel. Youre torn because on one hand the marriage is over and theres some level of feeling "ok". But yes all of the memories or future hopes and dreams , expectations are gone. So you dont necessarily feel celebratory. I think you should just be true to how you feel and when youre ready go out when you can genuinely laugh and smile go. But in the meantime maybe you do something more intimate and small with close freinds who will understand if you cry. Thats ok too. There will be time that you will be able to reflect on your marraige and it will hurt less and less. Just hang in there!
    (Just wondering is your name in reference to whitesnake song. If so thats a awesome song. )
  • _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    IDK, maybe their message is "congratulations on the closure." I ended a 23 year relationship (18 year marriage) last year - we just grew apart, and he's a good man but not for me anymore. There will be some sadness when the divorce is finalized, but I choose to look at it as the final step to full independence - and that's not a bad thing. Closure is necessary to move on.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Thank you all for your support and understanding. I drank a bottle of wine, ate pasta & chocolate, had a good long cry and got through the night. I'm sure there will still be bumps, but hopefully the worst is over.
    I put the word out to one friend who knows most of the others that congratulations are not in order so hopefully that nonsense will stop.
    Nini_applebum, no Whitesnake reference, it's just that I've a big lover of travel.
    Just_Tomek, you summed up my feelings exactly., thank you
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration with your friends' reaction. My first marriage ended after almost 10 years and it was a very amicable split. It was ultimately his idea (divorcing) but I was only hurt & angry for a week or so and then honestly felt pretty good about it. By the time it was finalized, I'd already moved on in every way and felt zero need to "celebrate" the divorce.

A lot of my friends who have divorced really had a bad time of it. Custody battles, cheating, endless drama...real anger & pain that lasted for months or years.

I think (as frustrating as it is) just count yourself lucky that your divorce wasn't as hellish and move on. I won't say congrats! hehe
  • nefrusy
    nefrusy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's so strange that your friends are offering congratulations. That'd only make sense if your ex-husband was a real jerk, and you were getting out of a terrible relationship.

Sorry to hear about the loss... I know what you mean about the sadness of the relationship not working out. I'm in a 10-year marriage that's about to end, probably for similar reasons to your own (my wife hasn't felt a connection for a long time). It is really unfortunate, but it does open the door for both of you to find new relationships where you can both be happy--or even find happiness being single. It sounds like at least the two of you are on good terms.

Best wishes to you and your ex-husband.