Lifting- time crunch question

Options
I generally have only an hour in the a.m (maybe 75 minutes) to get my ish done. I like cardio, so that's an always thing. 15 minute HIIT to long, slow LISS runs. (Currently training for a few spring halfs). As far as lifting goes, I alternate upper, lower and core days.

Would you do 3 sets of 10-12 reps or do you think 2 sets of 12-15 would be sufficient? I'm not training for a bikini competition; I just want increase my strength and support my running.

Thanks for the advice, knowledgeable people.

Replies

• strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Is mix it up. Alternate between MWF and TuTh on your interval sets. That way your body doesn't get too conditioned to a particular limit.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Obviously, answers given will reflect our own experiences and preferences.

I suggest barbells because they tend to provide multiple muscles coverage and I’d do them as supersets such as, for example, a push exercise and then a pull exercise. Example would be overhead press and then bent-over rows as one superset.

With the right load, a single set of each for 20 reps would get your job done. I’d skip core and get it covered by your barbell lifts. Think squats.

In the interest of your scarce time, I’d also skip isolation exercises.

If you have the skills or willing to learn, kettlebell complexes would be another option.

Probably not the answer you were expecting but since you asked, I answered. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not much difference in total volume but there's a lot of wasted reps when you start going to high rep sets - the idea is to create overload to force adaptation and if you are only getting to that point at rep 13, 14, 15 those first 12 reps haven't actually achieved much apart from prepare you for the last three reps.
    It's far more efficient to create overload by increasing the weight on the bar rather than increasing reps, more of those reps will be effective reps.

If your goal is strength rather than hypertrophy (which is commonly both high reps AND high volume) then I would drop the reps and increase the number of sets. You could make the argument that as a runner higher reps for your legs may be more complimentary. If you need to be time efficient then alternating a push with a pull can reduce the need to recover between sets,

Also do bear in mind that people simply respond better to different rep ranges so don't be afraid to experiment.

You might like to read this from Lyle McDonald....
    https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html/
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Its dependant on your current strength/volume/average intensity at the rep ranges you state.

Generally speaking two sets of anything is less useful than three sets if it causes the body to respond to it in a systematic way.

You will and can gain strength in any rep range with the correct volume/intensity up to a point (in the area 20+ reps). I might program for a long distance runner/cyclist to do the higher reps for a two fold response.

People often confuse themselves with idea there is a definitive rep scheme or intensity for all individuals as a whole for strength. This just isn't the case without more specificity to a goal and how the individual responds.

The quality of sets have much to do with dosing the stressor where you feel challenged but could do two more generally speaking.

• RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Thoughtful advice, yall. Much appreciated.