Men over 40 (Gurlymen we’re Going To PUMP! You Up.)

Options
msurkus
msurkus Posts: 23 Member
Hello everyone. I’m looking to start a community for men over 40.
A little about me spent most of my life in the gym, the last 10 or so year focusing mostly on running marathons. However, to avoid wear patterns from the same continuous movement decided to start lifting again. Man did I miss it! I enjoy running but it don’t keep you fit like lifting. There’s nothing like handling iron, the cling of plates or the the exhaustion when your ATG doing squats and like Arnold said, the feeling of the pump. Anyone else out there?

Replies

• 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Gurlymen? Care to clarify that?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    39flavours wrote: »

i was wondering the same thing....
  • kbbroiler
    kbbroiler Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well I'm over 40 but gurleymen? That's Hans and Frans SNL. I guess Arnold said it too. I just remember Hans and Frans saying it
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    There is a few of us 40-60 agers around.

Though I wouldn't suggest ATG squats. parallel or just under is much more beneficial generally speaking for any training.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    50 years young here. Less cardio and more strength training is where it's at for me... :)
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Possibly a reference to the high pitch a man's voice goes to when he tries to bench 100lbs more than he can actually do...without a spotter.

Just a guess, who knows lol.

I'm approaching 60 and do still enjoy the pumped up feeling after a good set. This might sound lame, but every workout I walk away from feeling great is another nail in the "I'm too old for this" mental coffin.

Ain't playing that game. Neither do most of the folks in my age group that post here. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Hans and Franz from SNL...

giphy.gif
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Strength training here (~5RM range) & I will be 48 in a few weeks.
    SS Yoke Bar squats, trap bar deadlifts, (overhead) barbell presses, barbell chest supported rows, weighted dips and weighted chins.
    A few barbell incline bench presses each week to keep in practice and maybe help with the overhead press.
    Probably doesn't help much, but oh well.

Only as much cardio as necessary.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I loved that SNL sketch!!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I loved that SNL sketch!!

Me, too. Still makes me laugh! :D

I'm up for this group. I'm 64 and I lift three days a week. Squats (various types) one day - presses another - trap bar deadlifts on the third day. Assisted chinups and dips (working on being able to do more pullups). Varying kettlebell work. Push a weighted sled for some conditioning. Walking and hiking and wade fishing for fun!

• mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    46 here. Just got back into the game. Training is now top priority for me. I totally agree about the clanking of the iron, the pump and the feeling you get. I'm not dead yet, suckas!
  • raputtak
    raputtak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out Dr. Sulivan's book, "Barbell Prescription - Strength Training for the over 40". I am 30 years over that but still found it useful.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    44, 45 this year and been back into training for a little over the last 2 years. I love walking out of the gym after a grueling workout and feeling like I can rule the world lol...
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    29 (soon to be 30) here, I know I don't hit the age requirement but I understood the title reference and plan to keep on lifting through my 30s and 40s. Would love to hear from those with long-term experience on lifting with an eye on sustainability and longevity.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    29 (soon to be 30) here, I know I don't hit the age requirement but I understood the title reference and plan to keep on lifting through my 30s and 40s. Would love to hear from those with long-term experience on lifting with an eye on sustainability and longevity.

I started at 58 - have been lifting steadily for six years. I see no reason to ever stop as long as I can lift safely and with good form. Some days, I don't even enjoy the actual lifting, but I do enjoy the challenge, and I love how I feel walking out of the gym. And the benefits that spill over into the other facets of life are worth every minute spent in the gym.

Regarding sustainability, I have learned to leave my ego at the door. I injured my left shoulder doing bench presses after lifting for about a year. I was lifting less than my previous maximum and I was working up with my trainer spotting me. Lifted 160 - no problem. First rep at 165 and something gave way in my shoulder. That brought on six months of rehab, but no surgery, and I am fine now. I just pay attention to aches and pains and I take care not to injure myself.

Upthread, @raputtak recommended "The Barbell Prescription" by Jonathon Sullivan. I second that recommendation. Great advice for aging lifters there. Sullivan also has a YouTube channel with good info. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNjgwAS3wBBxcwouQz5J9w
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @steveko89
    I don't understand the title reference at all and found it really off-putting so maybe you could explain?

Started lifting in my early teens, still lifting now at 59.
    TBH not much has changed, recovery is a bit slower, hypertrophy is definitely slower, injuries take longer to recover from, strength increases in line with training but for me at least my limits are injury related.

30's & 40's I was a bit too busy to lift consistently and a mashed up knee and lower back limited progress.
    In my 50's I got a bit more "me time" as family and career duties became easier.
    Made fairly spectacular strength increases from regular training, just like earlier decades going from inconsistent to consistent training.

My biggest hurdle is an extensive collection of old and new injuries. Joints and tendons seem to age less well than muscles. This year I had to switch from my preference of heavy weight, low rep training to high rep lower weight training due to a persistent back injury (just after I hit a 20 year bench press PR which might well be cause and effect....) but find I still respond to high volume quite well just like I always have. Importantly I still enjoy it.

Honestly I think a lot of my fellow old farts talk themselves into aging and slowing down. Personally I'm going to fight it all the way and intend aging disgracefully rather than gracefully.

• Healz
    Healz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    65 here was a runner in the early days. Now lost 32 LBs and mass. So where do I start?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @steveko89
    I don't understand the title reference at all and found it really off-putting so maybe you could explain?

TBH not much has changed, recovery is a bit slower, hypertrophy is definitely slower, injuries take longer to recover from, strength increases in line with training but for me at least my limits are injury related.

30's & 40's I was a bit too busy to lift consistently and a mashed up knee and lower back limited progress.
    In my 50's I got a bit more "me time" as family and career duties became easier.
    Made fairly spectacular strength increases from regular training, just like earlier decades going from inconsistent to consistent training.

My biggest hurdle is an extensive collection of old and new injuries. Joints and tendons seem to age less well than muscles. This year I had to switch from my preference of heavy weight, low rep training to high rep lower weight training due to a persistent back injury (just after I hit a 20 year bench press PR which might well be cause and effect....) but find I still respond to high volume quite well just like I always have. Importantly I still enjoy it.

Honestly I think a lot of my fellow old farts talk themselves into aging and slowing down. Personally I'm going to fight it all the way and intend aging disgracefully rather than gracefully.

Thanks for your insight.

It's a reference to an old Saturday Night Live bit with Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon as caricatures of 80s weightlifters. A few gifs were posted above.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @steveko89

Thanks for your insight.

It's a reference to an old Saturday Night Live bit with Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon as caricatures of 80s weightlifters. A few gifs were posted above.

Ah thanks - never watched the program or heard of the people.
    At least it wasn't a memory failure, which makes a change! :smile: