Weather and your motivation

Options
So I live in the uk where most of the time it’s pretty gloomy.
Today the sun is out for once and it’s warm and I feel so motivated to workout and eat healthy. My mood is generally happier as well even though I’m in work for the next few hours lol

Does anyone else find that the weather effects their motivation or is it just me and I’m that weird 😂

Replies

• mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Not just you, nice weather definitely improves my mood and motivation, especially to get outside and do something.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    twdlove89 wrote: »
    So I live in the uk where most of the time it’s pretty gloomy.
    Today the sun is out for once and it’s warm and I feel so motivated to workout and eat healthy. My mood is generally happier as well even though I’m in work for the next few hours lol

Does anyone else find that the weather effects their motivation or is it just me and I’m that weird 😂

I am in the uk as well, and its always easier to get out for a run in the sunshine!

that being said, when i'm training for a race, i'm out whether its rain or sun or the ridiculous wind that we've had recently because i have my eyes on the prize and a goal to work towards.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to be motivated when the weather is bad.

I live in Canada, in a part where pretty much from October to the end of April the weather can best be described as terrible. I can't think of too many people who would voluntarily take a stroll through knee-deep snow in the dark with a -45 C windchill. The weather is finally breaking though, only -2 today with snow on the way over the next few days. With the angle of the sun changing, the snow has slowly been melting; sidewalks are almost passable, though ice patches are still a hazard. On the plus side, the mosquitoes aren't out yet.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Canada here too. Finally getting some warmer weather and my mood is better. I have a treadmill at home for the really rotten days but I much prefer to get outside whenever possible. Can't wait for summer (which in Calgary is about 3 weeks long, lol).
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have definitely noticed an improvement to my mood now that it is sunnier. When I can drive home in the light it makes me feel like my entire day isn't taken up by work hours
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I am very much solar powered. A clear, sunny sky with little to no wind is my happy place and I have so much more motivation to be outside and be active. It's been true my whole life. There is usually one day in early May when I wake up in a fantastic mode and have an amazing day just because of the perfect sunny weather when I woke up, even if it was a school or work day.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it's totally a thing. consider getting a sad light or making your own(reptile lights are cheaper).
    though i love getting out in weather. it makes me feel more bad***
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I'm a vampire so I prefer overcast days, but I can definitely understand the impact that weather has on your mood.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    though i love getting out in weather. it makes me feel more bad***

Yes!!! :drinker:
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I feel much more motivated to exercise (especially outdoors) when it's cold. But I'm weird, so don't mind me. :D
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    While I am way happier and less stressed in warmer sunny weather, I would say it becomes more of a distraction for me. I am more likely to spend time outside vs. being in my gym (which for me is where my fitness goals are accomplished). Plus I am usually gaining in the winter so motivation is high to workout so I don't gain too much fat.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am generally more active in the winter than the hottest summer days. I really just hate being hot and I'm prone to overheating.

I don't really think being in cold, snowy windy weather is that bad. If a person wears the appropriate clothing, appropriate footwear (like microspikes) and keeps moving, it is in fact quite enjoyable.