Running Shoes

Options
Hello pals!

it it Ok to stockpile running shoes?

i generally seem to get about 500 miles out of a pair, so of the 2 pairs i currently have in rotation, one pair will only last another 3 months maximum.

In the past i have struggled to find the shoes i love (New Balance 860's if anyone interested) as they seem to disappear before the next version comes out, but I have found the same pair online, so I am now wondering about ordering 2 pairs, one of which I will be using by May, and the second pair will stay in their box until i need them.

what do people think?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    I've done that before with cycling shoes. :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    totally!
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've done that, but on major shopping days when the prices are exceptional. I'll buy shoes on boxing Day and often get 2 pairs because it's legitimately 1/4th the price.

Side note, I switched up brands this year from nike, and I gotta say, Puma's Nrgy knit hiking shoes are fantastic. Inexpensive, simple and good looking, comfy, the material they're made out of has some weird insulating properties and don't let your feet get cold in the winter or two hot in the summer, and they have some great ankle support.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I say go for it, if its a shoe you love, a good buy and you will be using in the next 6 months.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! When I find my favorite shoe on sale, I buy as many pairs as I can because sometimes even updates on an old favorite can make me fall out of love with a shoe, so I prefer to rely on something I know I like. I have heard it suggested that shoes materials can break down over time just by sitting in a box, but I have never experienced this to be true. I have had shoes unused in the box for over a year and did not notice any problems with them.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mabearof6 wrote: »
    I say go for it, if its a shoe you love, a good buy and you will be using in the next 6 months.

but if i buy 2 pairs, i wont be using them both in 6 months...
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Absolutely! When I find my favorite shoe on sale, I buy as many pairs as I can because sometimes even updates on an old favorite can make me fall out of love with a shoe, so I prefer to rely on something I know I like. I have heard it suggested that shoes materials can break down over time just by sitting in a box, but I have never experienced this to be true. I have had shoes unused in the box for over a year and did not notice any problems with them.

I've heard the same about the breaking down of materials. good to hear your experience.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I got a rare 30% off at the Brooks store so I have 2 pairs in stock now.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I do the same thing. I've been burned in the past by new models that don't fit the same as the ones I liked, or even favorite models being discontinued. With my wide feet, it isn't always easy to find shoes that really work. I actually rotate 4-5 pairs of shoes in several different models. Mine have anywhere from 70-450 miles on them at the moment. The older ones just get used on short runs or TM runs. The newer and more expensive ones are used for long runs.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

This for sure. My current shoes I use for everything over 6 miles have just been replaced by a new model. I have found 8 pairs of the old model in my size and will keep buying them as long as I can find them (and use them as I need them).

I don’t think having them sit in my closet is different than having them sit in the storage room of a shoe store/warehouse somewhere (in terms of breakdown).
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I don’t think having them sit in my closet is different than having them sit in the storage room of a shoe store/warehouse somewhere (in terms of breakdown).

Very true!
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

I've had issues with material breaking down in Brooks Levitate, but never any other shoe....I keep 4 pairs in rotation, 2 road and 2 trail, and change them out about every 6 months or so.

• SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I donate mine to my local running store. If they are gently used they get donated to the homeless, and if they are in bad shape they are recycled. I used to hold onto them, but now I just have a pair or two as walking shoes and the others I get rid of.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Buy as many as your addiction requires.

I currently have 17 pairs of running shoes... 9 in rotation ( 4 road, 5 trail) and 8 in reserve (4 road, 4 trail). I had 18 but I threw out a pair this week.

Yes, I might have a problem. I'm weak when I find good deals on shoes I like. My average cost per pair is under $60.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Oh he is a pretty shoe!!!!

Couldn't find the exact pair that I'm currently running in so got one pair of the newest version... if they're after a few runs I'll buy another pair to save for next year!

Did 10 miles today but I might have to run tomorrow to try them out :laugh:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I do that, if I find a great sale I'll grab 2 or 3 pairs.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely stockpile and always buy a pair if I find them at a good price. I get on best with an older version of my Asics, the newer models are tighter in the toe box.

Think I have around 10 pairs in various states of wear, from newly broken in to cannot wear for running anymore.

My excuse is I run 100+ miles a month so I get through a pair every 2-3 months
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,799 Member
    Options

Unfortunately I have had this happen to me with a pair of Ariat and Dansko barn boots. I bought them both at the same time and wore mostly the Ariat for about a year or so. When those wore out I switched to the unused Danskos. Within just a week they just disintegrated. And this was stored in my closet controlled temp environment.

I don't think running shoe materials are as good as they used to be and I find that where I used to be able to use a pair for over a year, now within just a few months depending on mileage (I also try to rotate among several pairs) that my shins start to hurt. Switching to another shoe immediately stops the problem. I also hate how manufacturers change the models ALL the time so it is difficult to get the same ones you love.

Best of luck.