Exercise and anxiety

Options
I've been getting jittery and anxious the day after a good workout. Anyone have any tips that could help? It seems to be getting worse as I get stronger and push myself harder. I have been doing crossfit since January and I've added in a day of jogging. If you have experienced, does it get better?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you have more energy due to exercising (a not uncommon occurrence) and need to get the energy out in some way? Do you stay busy in another way on those days, or are you doing a sitting activity? Perhaps cleaning or yard work might help?

Honestly, I was expecting a different kind of thread, haha. Exercising actually helps with my anxiety.
  • MADDIESMOMMY6611
    MADDIESMOMMY6611 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job so for most of the day I'm sitting. When I used to just run, it would make me feel energized all day, but not jittery. Crossfit is making me both energized and jittery for some reason. I don't know if it's causing my serotonin levels to skyrocket, or if it's putting my body in a constant fight or flight mode. All I know is, I hate this feeling!

I'm somehow extremely jittery (eye twitching, chest and head tingling), but I also can't stop yawning from being up all night.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job so for most of the day I'm sitting. When I used to just run, it would make me feel energized all day, but not jittery. Crossfit is making me both energized and jittery for some reason. I don't know if it's causing my serotonin levels to skyrocket, or if it's putting my body in a constant fight or flight mode. All I know is, I hate this feeling!

I'm somehow extremely jittery (eye twitching, chest and head tingling), but I also can't stop yawning from being up all night.

Perhaps look at your routine in general to see if there's other things that could point to the jitteryness? I have to practice good sleep hygiene in order to get a decent rest, and not getting enough sleep can cause some anxiety (kind of like staying up all night and getting the giggles at 3am sort of thing?). I also can't drink much caffeine because I'm sensitive to it.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I would go see your doc. This could be unrelated and just happened at the same time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Why are you up all night?

What percentage of the calories you earned from exercise are you eating back?
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me, I have more energy now that I exercise regularly. You just need to redirect that energy somewhere else. For example, I have a desk job as well so I can't do much at work, (My workouts are during lunch so that helps), but how I alleviate the jitteryness is to be more active when i get home. And I don't mean go outside and hike or something, I just mean include more chores into your day or adding a hobby like gardening or something when you get home. It really helps.