Life/gym/health balance - struggling

Options
I’m a conflicted. I’m trying to lose weight and GAIN strength. It’s hard for me to eat so little that I lose without exercising. I’m working on that. Plus, I really want to build muscle. And I *REALLY* like going to the gym. It makes me feel good, improves my health, and improves my mood. Like, I’d be happy going to work, hitting the gym, coming home and relaxing and going to bed.
Thing is, during the week I have about an hour commute from work. Plus I get out of work later than my fiancé. (He gets out between 3-6pm with a 20-30 min commute; I get out between 5-6 pm) then, my gym routines usually come out to about 1 1/2 hrs average (strength plus a bit of cardio and stretching and you know, pausing to drink water). This means a LOT to me, but he gets irritated that I get home so late when I hit the gym after work. I don’t want to stop going, I have a goal in mind and when my mind is set it’s set, but I don’t want to upset him constantly.

Anybody been in a similar situation? I’m not sure what to do.

I know - go to the gym in the morning. But that requires me getting up early enough for workout time, plus commute time, plus additional time to shower, get dressed and eat breakfast- which would mean stopping back home. It’s so awkward to shower and get dressed properly at the gym. And to eat breakfast ... I’d have to drink cold coffee on my way to work.

I’m also *really* not a morning person. And he knows that. So getting up at like 5am is really hard for me. I usually don’t have to be up for work until 7-7:30. Weekends I sleep until 10am.

I don’t know what to do! I don’t want to slack on my goals, I want to hit the gym regularly to meet them, but I dont want to upset my fiancé constantly. Is he being unreasonable? Am I?

Replies

• JaimeJaimeM
    JaimeJaimeM Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    With some small investment, get yourself some basic equipment and bring the gym to your home. Cancel your membership and you'll result in a cost-savings in the long term.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Maybe a compromise would be to reduce gym days to two or three per week and then move any time you used to spend at the gym doing cardio to cardio done at/near home. Maybe you could invite him along on your bike rides or runs in the park as an alternative to doing cardio in the gym.

I don't waste time at the gym doing cardio (or stretching) because I can get cardio in anytime by taking a run, bike ride, or some basketball (usually with my kids). I reserve gym time for heavy lifting because it is the only place where I can squat, deadlift, bench, etc.
  • julesdechaine
    julesdechaine Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Why would he be upset that you are doing something you enjoy, that benefits your physical and mental health?

I have a treadmill at home for cardio, and use the gym mostly for basketball, swimming, sauna, etc.

Like you, I have an hour commute to work, and go to the gym in the evenings, but my boyfriend enjoys going there too, so we use that time to connect since we don't live together.
    Is he opposed to being there?

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I don't think either of you are being unreasonable. You will just have to find the right balance that works for you.

1) Move closer to work or find a job closer to you if possible.
    2) See if he will join you at the gym
    3) Save the stretching for at home. (He probably wouldn't mind watching that either. My husband loves when I stretch at home :wink: )
    4) Skip the gym at least 1 day during the week and make that a "date night". Schedule it as couple time for the 2 of you every week.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I agree with skipping cardio and stretching at the gym. It saves so much time to just do it at home and/or around the neighborhood. I always cardio at home first thing, then get ready for work. I lift at the gym after work. I can run around the neighborhood or the park after work for 20-30 min. I'll do a longer run when I go to town before grocery shopping. Make a routine that fits your schedule. Leaving one night off for date night is also a great way to appease the SO.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I don't think either of you are being unreasonable. You will just have to find the right balance that works for you.

1) Move closer to work or find a job closer to you if possible.
    2) See if he will join you at the gym
    3) Save the stretching for at home. (He probably wouldn't mind watching that either. My husband loves when I stretch at home :wink: )
    4) Skip the gym at least 1 day during the week and make that a "date night". Schedule it as couple time for the 2 of you every week.

Maybe just me, but taking the 2-3 weeks needed to learn to be a morning person (to exercise or go to work earlier so one can leave earlier, which fixes the getting dressed at gym and breakfast, issue) is much easier/lower cost than than #1.