New starter (again) upcoming training course at work

Options
I have decided to start logging calories again because all attempts to eat healthy and exercise have just got me gaining weight.

4 years ago I went from 63kg to 58kg on an 1800 calorie allowance with MFP.

I know that doesn’t sound obese but I have a very small frame and high body fat percentage.

Yesterday I weighed at 64.1kg and I started logging.

You see, I got through the day without changing my diet and I only ate 1500 calories. I manage breakfast lunch and dinner but no room for snacks. I logged everything including Milk in tea.

I pretty much eat like this mom-Thursday for years. The problem is Thursday night I consider the start of my weekend. I end up eating a bag of crisps for snack and a few beers.

Friday I often treat myself to a better breakfast or lunch and then a pizza in the evening. I think I’m probably hitting over 2000 calories on a Friday.

Saturday I tend to have a healthy breakfast or lunch and often includes a meal out. More drinks and probably hitting 2k again.

Sunday I feel like it’s a day to get my final load of calories inside me before Monday starts. I often have a reasonable meals , healthier than Saturday/Friday but Sunday night becomes a feast of chocolate and crisps and other sweet food whilst watching tv.

I guess it sounds obvious writing it down now but am I sabotaging all of my weekday progress and making it pointless?

This weekend I’ve set myself a goal to stick to 1500 calories Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I have some major issues however

Sunday is Mothering Sunday and will inevitably result in roast dinner and drinks.

Next week I’m on a training course where lunch and dinner are provided and I’m worried I will lose control especially being around other people and just eating like everyone else.

I’m so depressed that this time next week I will be even heavier :-(

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    assuming by your screen name you are male - 1500cal is likely too agressive - wha tyou are describing is the very common restriction/binge cycle that many ppl see when their base calories are too low
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    darren_85 wrote: »

4 years ago I went from 63kg to 58kg on an 1800 calorie allowance with MFP.

This weekend I’ve set myself a goal to stick to 1500 calories Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Why have you set yourself a goal for 1500 calories when 4 years ago you lost weight eating 1800?

If you are finding you need to binge on crisps and drinks at the weekends, that sounds like you are not fuelling properly during the week/day.

Find alternatives to eating whilst watching TV (you could always...not eat), eat fuller meals at mealtimes (from your description you are forgoing lunch at the weekends?

There's no reason not to enjoy the roast on Mothering Sunday - but have one less roastie, one rather than 2 yorkshire puddings, and less generally - just smaller portions will help.

Drink water in between beers, stop drinking earlier (this has been a great help to me, I had two glasses of wine last night, then rather than reach for a third I had a herbal tea)

Find an activity to do - I find I eat healthier now the sun has come out and I want fresh fruit and vegetables and to get outside. Pizza could be 2000 calories ON IT'S OWN.

Spend a week logging EXACTLY what you eat, then go from there.

• darren_85
    darren_85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

I reduced to 1500 to give me a head start - 1kg per week.

Next week is going to be really hard on the training course, free lunch and pub dinners.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have 6kg or 13 lbs to lose. Set your rate to 0.5 lb per week for a healthy rate of loss and one that is sustainable. It will give you more calories and help you be more successful. Setting your calories too low is self-sabatoge. Next week you could make your goal be maintenance to help you navigate the rough waters.
  • darren_85
    darren_85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That’s an idea thanks

It’s Mother’s Day and I’ve logged everything before I eat it. I’ve left myself 200 calories for a snack tonight
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Would it be impossible to take a break from alcohol? I'm curious if you'd reach your goals cutting that out alone. Then instead of telling people you are dieting, you can just say you've set some goals for yourself this year that involve cutting out alcohol. Just a thought!