How to train for high altitude and difficult hike

Options
IThinkICan_Dejay
IThinkICan_Dejay Posts: 17 Member
edited March 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm making great progress with my fitness goals! Over the last two years I've dropped 75 pounds and ran a marathon in under 5 hours a few months ago.

My next goal is Mt. Whitney at the end of Summer '19 Going with friends who already have a permit. It is 22 miles round trip with 6000 feet elevation gain.

If I continue running - train much like I did for my marathon with weekly long runs getting progressively longer is that good? Or should I do something else to get ready for this big hike. I live near sea level in the city so not many hiking options.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Do as much uphill walking with a pack as you can. You can't really train for being at altitude except by being at altitude. But that's a different issue then your legs having to get you there.

See you doing one day or multiple?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What is your hiking experience - - distance, elevation, frequency?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    Flights of stairs while wearing your pack to train for the climbs.

You can’t train for high altitude without being at high altitude. Being a low-lander, you might want to consider asking your doctor about a prescription for Diamox. It helps prevent altitude sickness. I have had altitude sickness. It is Not. Fun. At best, it ruins your trip. At worst, it’s potentially life threatening.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You're running will give you cardiovascular fitness, but your muscles need to get used to the different motion and pace of hiking, especially with the added weight of a pack. People think hiking (or walking) is easier than running, but it is a challenging with distance & elevation.
  • como_agua1
    como_agua1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    there's no way to tell how someone will deal with elevation until you are in that situation.
    i was in ecuador and thought i was pretty good shape climbing a mountain,
    it was like i was in a movie - i just got smacked in the face with it! had to absolutely sit down faster than i'd imagine i would :D
    i don't know Mt whitney or it's altitude. just keep in mind it could get a little more challenging than you might imagine. have fun! :)
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I think you should incorporate strength training, both upper and lower body, into your routine. And core exercises as well. Just running won't cut it. I went on a shorter, smaller hike on Sunday but it follows some of the same general idea as your hike. You will want to build strength in your lower body because as you are climbing uphill, you will need more explosive power from your legs. You will also want to work your back and upper body. Both for carrying your pack, and depending on the hike, you may need to use upper body strength to help pull you up or lift you through/down certain areas. There were some inclines where we were basically crawling on you hands and feet to get through.

Doing stairs/anything uphill will help as well. Nothing will prepare you for the altitude except altitude. But you need to prepare your muscles as well, because it will be very different than running.
  • IThinkICan_Dejay
    IThinkICan_Dejay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It'll be a day hike, so pack weight should be minimal. Over the years I've done many short weekend backpacking trips. Highest is 13,100 - considerably less then Whitney and a much easier hike.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    It'll be a day hike, so pack weight should be minimal. Over the years I've done many short weekend backpacking trips. Highest is 13,100 - considerably less then Whitney and a much easier hike.

Wow that is a long day hike. It’s not something I would do personally, but I hope you enjoy it!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    The trail isn't difficult, it's just long, with lots and lots (and lots!) of switchbacks. Since it's a dayhike, hopefully you'll be up and down before the altitude gets to you. If you've done 13,000' before, another 1500' isn't likely to be a big problem. Make sure you are well hydrated before you start and bring lots of water. Don't drink alcohol the day before. Don't push the pace, just go slow andeasy. When I climbed Whitney there was a kid who wanted to show off by jogging up the trail. He passed out because he wasn't getting enough oxygen. If you are running regularly your legs and lungs should be strong enough to handle the climb. If not, work on your quad strength. I would continue to do as much hiking as possible, with some weight on your back since you'll need to bring some extra gear in case bad weather hits while you are up there. Thunderstorms are always possible in summer and snow is possible the rest of the time so you need to be prepared.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    You can't really train much for high altitude. Although, I would imagine that increasing your cardio fitness, and thus lung capacity could be beneficial while you are inhaling less oxygen then you are used to.

But for hiking, be sure to do a good bit of lower body work. Lunges, squats, lots of core work, etc. Be sure to do leg lifts and stuff too. I learned about that one the hard way. After a winter of training myself to be able to hike again, I killed the uphill stuff last summer. The downhill?? Not so much. By the end of the hike, I was really feeling it. The next morning my hip flexor muscles were so sore I couldn't walk. I hobbled like an old woman.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I would do as much hiking as possible this summer leading up to it, especially a couple with hills if possible.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. I would only add that if you can arrive the day before, hike or even drive up to a higher altitude, and then sleep lower that will help you acclimate to elevation a bit better.

Have a great trip!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,145 Member
    Options
    I'm making great progress with my fitness goals! Over the last two years I've dropped 75 pounds and ran a marathon in under 5 hours a few months ago.

My next goal is Mt. Whitney at the end of Summer '19 Going with friends who already have a permit. It is 22 miles round trip with 6000 feet elevation gain.

If I continue running - train much like I did for my marathon with weekly long runs getting progressively longer is that good? Or should I do something else to get ready for this big hike. I live near sea level in the city so not many hiking options.

I would add stair climbing. Real stairs. Get so that you can climb at least 10 flights in one go and carry on a conversation. :) Build up to 20+ flights a day. Also, don't forget to go down the stairs because going down will work your calves in a much different way.

Doing the stairs should help with the climbing and descending.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    I have climbed some mountains in Idaho. Lots of good advice has been given already.

Hilly routes on your run will help. All the stairs you can manage. High rise buildings or stadiums are a good option for that.

Take a potassium supplement if you are prone to cramps. I have had cramping issues which prevented me from finishing some climbs