When do you buy new clothes?

Options
13»

Replies

• askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have gone down 4 sizes, and each time I need to get new clothes I hit thrift stores and clearance racks. You may not always get the most in-style stuff but you would be amazed at some of the finds. 2 years ago (my first shopping experience) I got an entire winter business wardrobe for $45! it was awesome!
  • blablues
    blablues Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've found that pants with belt loops have been awesome. I'll wear them with belts until they truly look ridiculous - in fact I just put two of my biggest pairs away this week, after losing about 40lb. I've also held onto a pile of "too small" clothes that I pull out and occasionally try on to see if I fit in them again, with sometimes happy results. :) I have also bought just a couple things every few months to have at least one pair of pants in the right size. I'm holding out to really get a whole new wardrobe until I get much closer to my goal weight.
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is when I am 2 sizes away I get a new pair and get rid of the ones that are way to big.

Example. I was a 14/16 when I started. When I was down to a 12 I bought 1 pair of 12 jeans and threw out the 16s. Then when I was down to a 10 I got rid of all the 14s, but still had my 12s and one 10. Now I am in 8s so I got rid of all the 12s etc.

We all have days where we feel a little bloated so I didn't want to get rid of all comfy jeans, BUT I didn't want the bigger sizes there as a cushion or a "just in case I gain it all back."
  • Chemburly12
    Options
    This happened to me, and I just bought 1 pair of work pants and 1 pair of jeans and was able to get through until I evened out. It was a little weird to wear the same pants all the time but worth not wasting money. Black pants are so generic, most people don't even notice btw.

THIS
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My friends and I do clothing exchanges with each other- usually kids clothes, but goes for the women's clothing, too. There's typically life left in the items and it can be fun to pair some of your staples with a friend's style... Give your girls a call!
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yep second hand, or cheap is way to go. Every 11 lbs of 5 kg is a pant size. So does not take long for them to become too big. But also you want to look good along the way. I so entices troll what is called trademe in New Zealand for good quality cheap clothes. Just brought a pair of not your daughters jeans for $37nzd retail for like $300nzd. Thought they would not fit as a us 8,but yay they did.
  • shaggydaddy
    Options
    Second hand stores. A belt works wonders too. Sorry, not trying to be a smart *kitten*. Keep up the good work!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to the mall...I have the same pants in different sizes....I have a shopping problem though.
  • BoomShakaLakka
    BoomShakaLakka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You guys/gals have a lot of good suggestions. I think thrift stores are the place to get cheap stuff, and if you want to maybe buy something a little more expensive, have it fit a little small on you when you buy it so you're extra motivated to lose a few extra pounds. When you finally fit into the new clothes you are so happy.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I buy stretch fabric clothes in generic sizes and wear loads of skirts. I haven't worn pants in one year. :)
    I agree with the posters that said dresses too. They last longer. I have bought cotton sweater dresses for the winter and a large will fit from size 10 - 14. Also a dress with a higher waist is flattering and drapes nicely when you lose more. I also buy clothes that are a little tight. I bought a medium dress that is a little tight that I can still wear right now, but will fit perfectly in the spring. I also bought two black capris for the fall for work, a size 12 and a size 10. The 12s fit perfect and will look great with a fitted top. The 10s are tight, but still fit and I'll wear those with a looser top. The tens will still fit in the spring when I lose another 10 pounds, but the 12s probably won't.
    I'm kinda thinking HE won't want to wear skirts or dresses to work (probably not anywhere else either, but hey you never know... no judgments)

Utili-Kilts! Fills the same function as the dress/skirt idea, but manly! :drinker:
  • youngdreamer
    youngdreamer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Belts for the oversized jeans & sweats/trackies FTW ^-^
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I plan on wearing the same stuff all the time and dont intend to buy hardly anything until i reach goal weight. At the moment in the hot weather Im wearing long t shirts, shorts and flip flops which are incredibly cheap summer items, but with autumn approaching I will be wearing my husbands long sleeved white work shirts which I will roll up the sleeves, over this I will wear his black waistcoat which came as part of a 3 piece suit , he never wears the waistcoat , ditto one of his leather belts to cinch the waist in a little or to wear low on the hips. Black ankle length leggings and black pull on calf length slouch boots. For outdoors I have a woollen shawl/cape thing which drapes round the shoulders and then you throw one side over your shoulders ( bit like clint eastwood in the good bad & the ugly). It is one size fits all, Plus my black bowler hat and my sunglasses , even in winter & a huge handbag to carry spare clothes, umbrella, raincoat. For evening wear Im looking for a 1950s swing coat to go with various wrap dresses
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    OP is a man. And a lot of people are recommending dresses! :laugh:

I hope he's progressive!

Interesting advice.

I've been maintaining for years and I still get advice on here about how I can someday reach my goal weight. :huh:
  • bikiniaday
    Options
    I buy when I constantly have to pull them up!
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If your clothes being too loose is making you feel frumpy it's best to get some (inexpensive) jeans for the interim. Better spend $100 for an easy self confidence boost than to cheat yourself out of feeling like you're making progress. (And you can get fairly cheap jeans at places like Old Navy--not the best denim in the world but it'll do!)
  • mjh4cwh1
    mjh4cwh1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My favorite place to shop is Goodwill! Loved it when i was 2 sizes down and I bought high priced name brand slacks and jeans for a few bucks a peice! My old fat clothes are going there soon. Not ever going back!!