FODMAP

stbcacls
stbcacls Posts: 1 Member
Anyone on Fodmap Programme?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    A friend of mine has been diagnosed as fodmap intolerant, but looking on the internet it looks like he could tolerate garlic infused oil. Which would be good news for him, being French. I've invited him round for spaghetti carbonara where the oil used for frying pancetta is infused with whole crushed cloves of garlic which are discarded.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    This is a useful list of low fodmap garlic and onion replacements.

https://alittlebityummy.com/how-to-replace-onion-on-the-low-fodmap-diet/

I am going to feed my fodmap intolerant friend bagna cauda made with chive instead of garlic.
  • MichelleKWestbrook
    MichelleKWestbrook Posts: 3 Member
    I am! I just started this last year when nothing else worked for horrible (and what seemed random) stomach pain. For me, it's hard to stick to; especially when you try to go out with friends. But, as long as I stay prepared it's not too bad. I haven't been sticking directly to low fodmap and my stomach has hated me for it so today was my first day fully back on it. I just feel SO much better when I stick to it.
  • annegrose
    annegrose Posts: 8 Member
    FODMAP isn't a diet for life, you need to go through the reintroduction phase and find out what you are intolerant to MichaelleKWe
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Fodmaps can be a great relief to many. It may not be advisable to stay on any restricted diet for a long period because of developing deficiencies but for some, till they find something better and as it sort of works, it has to be done. I did not find fodmaps most helpful for myself, because my difficulties crossed the groupings. Things which might help are prebiotics, digestive microbes which are often reduced by the use of antibiotics and other medications. I found products designed for use with antibiotics exceptionally helpful in my early days of using them, I took them for quite a few months. I now have the occasional packet when I feel I'm restarting difficulties Probiotics go a long way to feed the beneficial microbes to overcome different difficulties. All the very best to anyone experiencing digestive discomfort.