Gained TWO kilograms in a day? WHAT??????

Options
Ahhhhhh... please talk me down from the proverbial ledge. Since March 8th (three weeks) I have been eating pretty healthily and cutting down on snacking/eating my kids food/little bites here and there. I haven’t been perfect but I have been consistently working on it and I’ve been pretty proud of myself.

And so far so good - down from 90.9 kilos to 86.6 kilos. That’s 9 and half pounds! But today I bounced back up to 88.6 - that’s a 4.4 lbs weight gain in a day! I know there are normal daily shifts but that seems crazy .... any experience/insight ???

Trying to not let it get to me but I had to vent a little ...

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    How much sleep did you get? Time of the month? High sodium meal?

My biggest daily shift, naked first thing in the morning after using the toilet, was seven pounds - from being dehydrated one day after a mild stomach flu, eating less, resting, and waking up late - to the next being “swole” from a heavy lifting day, lots of sodium and large meals, and waking up early. It took a couple of days but my weight quickly returned to normal.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Did you eat 15000 calories above your maintence calories today? If not, then you don't have to worry because it's not fat. 9 and a half pounds in 3 weeks is a lot. Some of it was certainly water weight, in addition to fat. Water weight fluctuates, in some people more than others and depends on a lot of different factors. It will go down again, likely quickly, just give it time and stick with your plan.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yeah, can have huge variations in the short term, it’s the longer term trend you need to follow.

My “ups” usually happen half a week before my period, or after consuming something salty like miso soup, or after a heavy workout for my muscle - all of which make my body retain water temporarily. It’s not real weight gain, will pass.

Also weight fluctuations were bigger before I created a consistent habit of weighing in - always first thing in the morning, naked, empty bladder and stomach. Otherwise I could vary a couple kilos on the scale by weighing in at night with a couple kilos in my stomach of water and meals.

Here is a chart you will see a lot on MFP to answer this sort of question:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    While my bigger bump is normally just under 3 pounds I have seen a 5 pound spike from one day to the next.

Since you are only 3 weeks in and you have lost over 9 pounds you need to know that some of that was water weight and it will come and go for various reasons like it has done all of your life you just didn't realize it was happening.

• rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Water weight, normal fluctuations. 9 1/2 pounds is a lot for 3 weeks so probably just gaining some water weight back. Take measurements so when you’re feeling down about the scale you can see how you are actually doing. At some points the scale doesn’t give you an idea of how you’re doing.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I gain 2-3kg every day. It’s usually gone again by morning.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Woo on MFP has a negative connotation.

People can change their own woo to something else if the woo by mistake!

And what @apullum said.

Well, unless it is a medical emergency due to there being no other possible explanation and, perhaps, visible edema and/or an underlying condition.

usually hoofbeats are not zebras except when in zebra country...
  • mimimunchery
    mimimunchery Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Probably too much info but my period started today and now I’m back down to 86.7 kilos. Hoping that was it! (Also I did have a take out Indian meal Friday evening - probably high in salt).

And another good point - I don’t have a constistent “ way” or time I weigh myself. I am always wearing clothes and it’s whenever I can remember throughout the day.