Funniest thing you’ve seen a medical professional do?

Options
rickiimarieee
rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
I was a nurse before my babies, and now I’m a stay at home mom. I’ve seen a lot of crazy things working in the hospital but yesterday I went in for abdominal surgery and first time being put under since I seized and stopped breathing. My nurse comes in before surgery to talk to me and my doctor/surgeon is over in the corner with the barcode scanner for wristbands and medicines for the computer and he’s scanning the desk, trying to scan his face, and pretended like he was shooting things with it. He had no idea anyone was watching but I was laughing, and told the nurse to watch and she said she was glad I caught onto that too. Definitely made me nervous for surgery though lmao.38ecin0cg0z9.jpeg

Replies

• rickiimarieee
    Options
    This one always makes me laugh 😂😂😂

https://youtu.be/EY9WIUNU1qw

Oh god 😂🤢😂
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    When I broke my tibia and fibula and the Dr had to reduce it. He said “On the count of three, you ready?”....”Okay..one”... *CRACK*.

When I broke my ribs for like the third time. I got used as practice for ultrasound for medical students because I’m skinny. I just thought it was funny because they keep using me for that. The Dr. was rather eccentric and said I have beautiful anatomy haha.

My Mum is an RN and she disarmed a guy with a replica pistol. She just called him a dumbass and told him to drop it. It actually worked haha.

• Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Fun thing about working in the medical field is that I get to stick people with stuff in every orifice of their body. People will cry for pain and I stick them with the D and they will thank me for it; and just like a general, I get to see tons of privates. I also get payed doing these things.

Just kidding!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    We have to improvise a lot in the medical field. I work ER so there are some crazy stories. I have seen students do funny stuff.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Funniest thing in the healthcare professions is how seriously the healthcare professionals take themselves. All. The. Time.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    10 years ago I was prepped and ready to have a gyno procedure that I’d have to be put under general anesthesia for and it also just happened to be Halloween. My gynecologist (who was a very serious looking Dr) came in to see me right before the procedure and he was eating Halloween candy. It was just strange to have him explaining the details of the procedure while munching on Halloween candy. For some reason that image has stayed with me all these years :D
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    One time I was in the ER all night and the IV fluids they gave me made me pee something fierce. I went in one of those bedside jugs and filled it up 3/4 of the way full. When I was putting the lid on I bobbled the jug a little and urine splashed all over the edge of the bed and onto the floor. A few minutes later the nurse comes in and I tell her what had happened and apologized. She tells me not to worry about it and that she has seen worse. I say to her, "Worse than urine??" and her eyes lit up and she replied, "OH YEAH".

That made me laugh so much. I think nurses have a really great sense of humor.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    One time I was in the ER all night and the IV fluids they gave me made me pee something fierce. I went in one of those bedside jugs and filled it up 3/4 of the way full. When I was putting the lid on I bobbled the jug a little and urine splashed all over the edge of the bed and onto the floor. A few minutes later the nurse comes in and I tell her what had happened and apologized. She tells me not to worry about it and that she has seen worse. I say to her, "Worse than urine??" and her eyes lit up and she replied, "OH YEAH".

Lol urine and bowel movements are NOTHING compared to what I’ve seen as a nurse lol. No doubt every nurse can relate lol
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Funniest thing in the healthcare professions is how seriously the healthcare professionals take themselves. All. The. Time.
    I hate when they’re cocky, or with 0 bedside manners but I’d rather them be serious with a serious matter that I’m very anxious or nervous about.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    10 years ago I was prepped and ready to have a gyno procedure that I’d have to be put under general anesthesia for and it also just happened to be Halloween. My gynecologist (who was a very serious looking Dr) came in to see me right before the procedure and he was eating Halloween candy. It was just strange to have him explaining the details of the procedure while munching on Halloween candy. For some reason that image has stayed with me all these years :D
    Lol I would enjoy this
  • newmeadow
    Options
    I hate when they’re cocky, or with 0 bedside manners but I’d rather them be serious with a serious matter that I’m very anxious or nervous about.

I hear ya. With patients, one must be very careful and diplomatic. I was talking from a co-worker perspective. Nurses are very un-fun and rarely funny. There are some exceptions and I've found a few goofs and eccentrics I can have a laugh with. Goofs and eccentrics who know what they're doing professionally and take good care of people. But collectively, ah, no. Nurses collectively are way too wrapped up in Nancy Nursey Nurse identity.

cyii8o1s79l9.png

• newmeadow
    Options

Lol urine and bowel movements are NOTHING compared to what I’ve seen as a nurse lol. No doubt every nurse can relate lol

The same stuff comes out of every human being so everyone can relate. The same stuff has the potential to fester and drain out of anyone and everyone post surgically or during active infection. One person, objectively, is no yuckier than any other. I know you already know this, but I'm just sayin. I wish people really knew that no matter what happens during a hospitalization or doctor visit, the patient has nothing to be embarrassed about and no one on the job is significantly grossed out or shocked by what they see, hear or smell.

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

I would say Healthcare workers are desensitized.

Had a straight face the entire time I was talking with this veteran whilst he was randomly expelling air (very audible) several times. Get asked about BMs/go into graphics on an almost daily basis with general public...can not ever bring myself to laugh or joke with him/her about such matter (of course unless said person jokes about it first...very touchy subject & lots of people are embarrassed about BM problems)
  • newmeadow
    edited March 2019
    Options

I would say Healthcare workers are desensitized.

Had a straight face the entire time I was talking with this veteran whilst he was randomly expelling air (very audible) several times. Get asked about BMs/go into graphics on an almost daily basis with general public...can not ever bring myself to laugh or joke with him/her about such matter (of course unless said person jokes about it first...very touchy subject & lots of people are embarrassed about BM problems)

I was never into toilet humor, (no offense - not saying you are) - but for some medical people, poo poo jokes are the last thing to go and they can still laugh at that in private. And I'm not knockin' it. Anything to make their faces crack into a smile is good.

Myself I always preferred satire, bitter irony and absurdist wack laughs. Nurses don't get that for the most part. At all.

My past lives working in non medical environments were much more fun. The co-workers made funnies and understood (lots of different kind of) funnies and had funna. Not all of the time but at least some of the time. I was older going into medical and promised myself I'd never become a Serious Sally like the rest of 'em. Despite the desensitizing. And you're right. It happens.

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I used to have a dentist who decided whether a tooth was 'injured?' by doing this "test" where you place your index finger on the tooth in question and hold out your other arm.
    If he could push your arm down, there was something wrong with that tooth.

bad "woo"
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

The same stuff comes out of every human being so everyone can relate. The same stuff has the potential to fester and drain out of anyone and everyone post surgically or during active infection. One person, objectively, is no yuckier than any other. I know you already know this, but I'm just sayin. I wish people really knew that no matter what happens during a hospitalization or doctor visit, the patient has nothing to be embarrassed about and no one on the job is significantly grossed out or shocked by what they see, hear or smell.
    Everyone can relate to having urine and bowel movements but not everyone is able to stomach or clean up someone else’s. My husband said 100% that he couldn’t ever do it. Lmao I have a hard enough time getting him to change a diaper on our baby.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

But I do agree that they shouldnt be embarrassed by it!