How come my 5-week est. weight loss isn’t 10lbs if I eat 1200cals a day?

Options
I’ve been eating around 1200 calories every day and my MFP predicted weight loss is less than 8lbs in 5 weeks. How come? I have my goal set to lose 2lbs a week; so it should be est 10lbs. I’ve been eating a lot of carbs, but I don’t think that would hinder my loss as long as I’m calorie counting. What’s going on?

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,750 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Keep in mind that when you complete your diary, the number it gives you is only an estimate, and even then it calculates as if every single day is exactly like that day. ;) I don't know about you, but I never eat exactly the same foods in the same amounts every day. Also remember that weight can fluctuate a lot depending on sodium consumption, water retention, elimination (or not), and time of the month for the ladies.

If you're seeing the scale go down consistently, even in smaller numbers than you'd like, you're moving in the right direction. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that I agree with @ceiswyn. 1 lb a week is likely a much more appropriate goal for you.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Most people’s bodies don’t burn enough on an ordinary day to lose 2 lbs a week without exercise. And MFP based your calorie amount on just that— how much you’d burn on a normal day without exercise (it factors in the lifestyle-based activity level you choose, your height, age and current weight). As others have said, if the loss rate you select would bring you below 1200 calories, it gives you 1200 calories.

I’m 5’2 and if I set it to lose 2 lb/week, it gives me 1200; if I set it to lose 1.5 lbs/week, 1200; 1 lb/week: 1200. Losing faster than 1 lb/week, for a person with my stats, is not optimal for health.

I am not sure how you determined the bold. If the weight loss level is appropriate why would most people not lose 2 pounds a week if their average calorie deficit was 1000 calories per day or 7000 calories per week without exercise?

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Whenever your body has excess carbs that re not being burned, it gets stored as fat so if you are just using caloric restriction without exercise, you won't see a 10lb drop in weight in 5 weeks. If you do it will likely be water weight, not fat.

As a general rule, this is untrue.

If you are eating consistently at a 1000 cal deficit, you will lose 2 lbs/week, mostly fat, whether you are getting that deficit in part from exercise or not.

I think it's better to exercise (and that OP is likely not able to have a 2 lb/week deficit without eating too little), but this assertion that you made is not accurate, and seems to be based on a misunderstanding as to how weight loss works.

Carbs don't magically lead to added fat in a deficit (and fat is actually more easily turned to fat than carbs, not that it matters if you are in a deficit).