Time of the month...

Options
Sorry if this isn’t allowed to be posted but I’m looking for advice.
My dr recently gave me a 10 day medication to kick start my period after not having one for 6 months. It started last Tuesday my weight has been up and down since. The day before my period started I was down 1lb the day my period started I was up 0.5lb then day 2 up 2lb, the 2lb went away by day 4. Day 4 was my official weigh in. Day 5 I weighed 2lb up. Currently day 6 and still 2lb and still bleeding.

Now I know it’s common to gain or maintain when your on your period but my weight seems up and down and I’m pretty sure I should have a loss somewhere but instead I’m 2lb up on day 6. I’ve looked around a bit and most people said when they have maintained or gained on a period it goes away by cycle day 5. So now I’m worried that I’ve actually somehow put on 2lb.
I have fertility issues due to not ovulating on my own hence the 6 months absent period.

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Those are really negligible and normal fluctuations, and you can't really look at someone else's cycle and imagine yours will be anything like theirs. There are just way too many variables and things going on. By all means keep weighing yourself and tracking the data, and presumably when you go on to have more regular periods you'll see over time that this is just how it is. Some people would love for it to just be 2lbs! The way our hormones work, you need a whole month of info to see what's really going on with weight, and then even better, multiple months to see repeating patterns.
  • hungrywombat
    hungrywombat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I actually find my weight goes up and I start to retain water from about day 3 of my period and it doesn't go away fully until about 5 days after my period ends. This is only something I worked out through tracking data over several months. You do need to take the long view with this, it's so variable from person to person.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Track your period for 3 cycles, and then you'll know what is normal for you. Whichever way it goes, it is only temporary water weight (presuming you are eating healthy and normal, not giving into food cravings).
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I "gain" a few days prior to my period and it doesn't go away until a day or two after I'm off of my period. I weigh myself during that time, just b/c I'm used to it, but I don't count it. I just like to see what the number is so I know I'm on track with what's normal for me. I also "gain" during ovulation, even though I'm on birth control so I shouldn't be ovulating, but that's what my body does. I'm probably not ovulating in a true sense, but my body still bloats when I would normally ovulate.

I just have an it just is what it is during these times. If I know I've been doing what I'm supposed to be doing, I don't worry about it.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    What's your doctor say?
  • Nataliieexo
    Nataliieexo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you coming to the end now and dropped the 2lbs yesterday, gone up a bit today but not worried about as I know about daily fluctuations. Was just wondering about the period weight gain thing as it’s my first time losing weight and having a period at the same time.

Drs don’t say much, my cycles are very erratic, I either have no period or long lasting periods and constant spotting. Drs just blamed my weight for not ovulating, hormones are fine.
    My bmi needs to be 30 to get fertility help and that is still 1st 5lbs away but I am down 2st 1.5lb so far I did hope losing that would help things but it didn’t.
  • Casslose1
    Casslose1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I went off the pill last August and didn't have a period again until this past February and it lasted nearly a month! I recently turned 50 so not sure if Menopause or just the fact that I stopped taking the pill. Fortunately I managed to maintain my weight during those weeks though I've gained a few since then. On another note, My gyno says I don't have any eggs left but since I now have a period again, does that mean I can get pregnant??? Help!