Pulled groin muscle

Options
megamom
megamom Posts: 920 Member
I pulled a groin muscle a couple of days ago which is pretty darn painful. When I go to the gym today would working those muscles help stretch it out or should I just stick to doing the weight machines on my arms and legs. I took yesterday off but it isn't really better, and, how long does it take to recover from something like this?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Did you see a physician?
    I pulled a groin muscle a couple of years ago. I'm very sympathetic <3 It's very painful! Took me months to get back to normal. Working your upper body may be ok. Not sure how your doctor would feel about working your legs. Maybe walking if it doesn't cause pain.
    Hope you have a speedy recovery, it can be brutal.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I've had similar and it took me 8 weeks! I avoided any heavy lifting, squats with the lower body.
    Did lots of repetition with low weighs.
    And lots of stretching before and after.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's a pulled muscle? I thought I had a pulled groin muscle and it turned out to be a pelvic stress fracture. If it doesn't get better with rest, go to a doctor. In the meantime, avoid weight bearing exercise and let it heal.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sore, work it out
    Pain, let it heal
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If it is in fact pulled groin, that can be a nagging recurrent injury if not healed. If after rest, ice and elevation it stil hurts go see a dr. Time enough for rehab once pain is gone. Take your time with this this one, IMO.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Resistance training with whatever intensity and/or range of motion that you can tolerate will speed the process of healing. It also helps reduce scar tissue and chance of reoccurring later.

Its well documented in literature the benefits of resistance training is much much better than "rest".

Recovery has many varibles.

I've pulled a groin or adductor a couple years ago making it hard to move faster than a walk and still squatted a PR the next day by changing my stance width, toe angle, and bar position. I couldn't run full speed for baseball for months though.

Its finding what you can tolerate.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Resistance training with whatever intensity and/or range of motion that you can tolerate will speed the process of healing. It also helps reduce scar tissue and chance of reoccurring later.

Its well documented in literature the benefits of resistance training is much much better than "rest".

I've pulled a groin or adductor a couple years ago making it hard to move faster than a walk and still squatted a PR the next day by changing my stance width, toe angle, and bar position. I couldn't run full speed for baseball for months though.

This (the bolded) is very, very determinant on what exactly you've injured/you had surgery on. It also contradicts your "recovery has many variables" below. None of us can responsibly tell the OP to essentially do anything other than go to the doctor because we aren't this person's doctor.

I have had injuries and surgeries where movement/resistant was appropriate right after surgery/the injury and a ton where doing so would have set back my recovery months and/or resulted in much more invasive treatment. I, in fact, just got home from brunch with a friend who prolonged her recovery from an intercostal muscles strain by a considerable amount because she didn't rest.

Yes, I understand that you're very pro resistance training given you've stated the above advice a number of times, but it isn't the appropriate answer to everything and there is no way for us to know that it is the appropriate answer for the OP. The smart thing would be for the OP to go to a doctor, get a diagnosis, and get appropriate medical advice.
  • Chieflrg
    edited March 2019
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

This (the bolded) is very, very determinant on what exactly you've injured/you had surgery on. It also contradicts your "recovery has many variables" below. None of us can responsibly tell the OP to essentially do anything other than go to the doctor because we aren't this person's doctor.

I have had injuries and surgeries where movement/resistant was appropriate right after surgery/the injury and a ton where doing so would have set back my recovery months and/or resulted in much more invasive treatment. I, in fact, just got home from brunch with a friend who prolonged her recovery from an intercostal muscles strain by a considerable amount because she didn't rest.

Yes, I understand that you're very pro resistance training given you've stated the above advice a number of times, but it isn't the appropriate answer to everything and there is no way for us to know that it is the appropriate answer for the OP. The smart thing would be for the OP to go to a doctor, get a diagnosis, and get appropriate medical advice.

I'm stating what any doctor who is experienced in barbell training will tell you. That if you can tolerate training with a slight "pulled or strained" muscle you probably should. Using the proper load, it helps with recovery. Its the nearly the same as building muscle, we tear fibers to repair them.

Yes I stated recovery has many variables and things I could and could not do in the same situation that holds some relevancy. Some of the varibles will include if a person uses a proper load management or not. Example:
    train randomly without load management wouldnt be favorable for recovery.

The OP isn't given any indication there is a need for surgery in the least with the info given. Bringing in your surgeries that might not have relevancy doesn't mirror what the OP is stating is a possibility or concern. Probably best for you not to add extra info to the OP statement as that is more harmful than good and can nocebo recovery. We all want a fast recovery for OP.

Since you brought it up, I've seperated my intercostal muscle a few weeks out from a power lifting meet and was advised by both Dr. Buraki & Dr. Feigenbaum the exact same advice I gave. Once again, the key is if tolerable with proper load management.

There is a overwhelming research that training is better than not in these type of situations where the OP wants to go to the gym and train reasonably.
  • aokoye
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I'm stating what any doctor who is experienced in barbell training will tell you. That if you can tolerate training with a slight "pulled or strained" muscle you probably should. Using the proper load, it helps with recovery. Its the nearly the same as building muscle, we tear fibers to repair them.

Yes I stated recovery has many variables and things I could and could not do in the same situation that holds some relevancy. Some of the varibles will include if a person uses a proper load management or not. Example:
    train randomly without load management wouldnt be favorable for recovery.

The OP isn't given any indication there is a need for surgery in the least with the info given. Bringing in your surgeries that might not have relevancy doesn't mirror what the OP is stating is a possibility or concern. Probably best for you not to add extra info to the OP statement as that is more harmful than good and can nocebo recovery. We all want a fast recovery for OP.

Since you brought it up, I've seperated my intercostal muscle a few weeks out from a power lifting meet and was advised by both Dr. Buraki & Dr. Feigenbaum the exact same advice I gave. Once again, the key is if tolerable with proper load management.

There is a overwhelming research that training is better than not in these type of situations where the OP wants to go to the gym and train reasonably.

Where did I say or even imply that the OP needed (or had) surgery? Would you mind bolding that part of my post?

Note that I didn't only bring up surgeries, but also injures as well. While I have had a number of surgeries, it's not like those are the only things I've dealt with that have involved some sort recovery. Frankly one of my surgeries was a "do whatever you want" right after the fact and my most recent injury was a "if you don't rest you will end up needing surgery".

Since you've decided to name drop doctors (as if I wouldn't assume that you've seen varous doctors over the course of your life), let me be very clear, my doctors are more than a little experienced with elite athletes. Both of my orthopedists have worked with multiple olympians (one volunteers regularly at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs and was one of the orthopedists at the Rio Olympics - the other was one of the orthopedists at the Beijing Olympics) as well as various other professional athletes. Additionally, all of my recent physical therapists work at a research hospital and are very much up to date with current research.

Never mind that powerlifting isn't somehow the end all and be all of sports. And yes, the person who was referring to with the strained intercostal muscle was told to stop rowing. She didn't stop and ended up prolonging her recovery (she did eventually and has made a full recovery).

So again - you aren't a doctor who has access to the OP, their imaging (if any), or their chart.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Look you're bringing in your surgeries(yes you did) into a simple pulled/strained groin post from somebody who wants to train and questioned a time frame for recovery after taking one day off. This is not a post surgery post, you can make one if you like and might be helpful for those interested in post surgery experience.

A pulled muscle and surgery are totally two different things. One is planned trama the other common in life. Being treated by a doctor/surgeon post surgery is a absolute.
    Seeing a doctor or not for a pulled muscle is a choice. It seems from the OP's post, a doctor isn't his/her choice at this time.

I stated according to literature, training is better than just "rest" for the human body and it helps promote healing. If you believe that is incorrect I'll ask for a citation now.

Yes I also stated recovery has many varibles. Without knowing...
    If the OP does go ahead and train and if so is OP sensitive or resistant to training, the range of motion of OP, what exact lifts OP can and cannot tolerate, nutrition...there are many varibles. Hardly a contradiction with the info given.

You may bold where I stated for the OP "not to see a doctor" if you want to continue to pick at things.

I gave the names of the doctors so hopefully others with a open mind possibly would research who they are and the incredible info they give out that is science based and could educate and benefit all of us. Not name drop.
  • aokoye
    Options
    Selective reading and poor usages of inferance are clearly running rampant. I could have written the exact same post without having said surgery (did you even see where I said injuries?). Would have changed your replies?