General swim, what does that mean?

Options
Heya guys

I do swimming 3 times a week and usually for 40 minutes to an hour. In 45 minutes, I can swim 1200 meters, (not great but its a start). That includes 50 meters 1-2 minute running in the water.

So my routine is like thus:
50 meter freestroke
50 meter back stroke
50 meter freestroke
50 meter back stroke
50 meter running in water.

I do 6 sets of this, with usually a 2-3 minute rest after the 3rd set.

So basically my question is, would this be considered General swimming, or what. I use the General swimming calories.

Thanks

Replies

• bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I woud love to know this as well. I do 10 laps of freestyle, 10 laps of breaststroke, 5 backstrokes, 5 kicks with board using one hand to swim and then 10 laps of alternating between freestyle and breaststroke. I just log under light/moderate. This usually ends up being about 30 minutes. Not sure how big the pool at my housing complex is. I know it's bigger than the one at the gym which is about 25meters each way.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I just log all my swimming as light/moderate laps. When I use my hrm the burn is higher than what MFP calculates for me, so that works.

I'm not sure about adding in the other strokes though and what that could do to "burn", as I tend to only backstroke when I'm completely corpse tired.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This is gonna sound silly, but I consider general swim to be anything! I went to a waterpark and literally spent 1.5 hours treading water, swimming lengths under water and just messing around and counted it haha.
    Treading water is a damn good workout if you do it properly!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I log them as general, even though I alternate days between sprints and distance, minimum of 1000M. I figure MFP overestimates calorie burn, so I might as well underestimate my effort. Either way, I'm on TDEE anyway so MFP's estimate is irrelevant.

As to the question, I would say "general" is slow pace, not much exertion. I would consider that to be 1:15 per lap or slower (sidestroke which is what I swim mainly) my average lap time on a 1000M swim is around 47 seconds. 1:00 or slower Freestyle, I average 41 seconds per lap on a distance swim. If you're swimming the fly, there is no slow pace.

Rigger
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I, personally, would call this general swimming. I usually claim "Free Style" on my swims because I do 35 min, and only 10 of that is typically mixed strokes. Is there a lap swimming choice? Maybe you could use that instead?
  • briniepoo
    briniepoo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Glad to know I am not the only one who's not sure about this.

I guess I shall just keep my calories as there are under the general swim tab.