Should you exercise when you're ill?

Options
Right now I have just a slight cold, which means a bit of a sore throat, a little drippiness, and a low-grade temp. I'm diabetic, and my blood glucose spiked unexpectedly. That was the first sign of it. There is a flu going around, and I have been exposed to it since my sister and brother-in-law are hit very hard. Don't know what's going to develop over the next few days. Taking as many precautions as I can, such as eating right, hand washing, and sanitizing.

Are some forms of exercise safer than others? If this cold starts affecting my breathing, would strength training be OK if cardio isn't? Or are there any specific guidelines?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk. As long as you want if calories or boredom are what's behind your desire to exercise. @DancingMoosie is right about your body needing rest to fight off the infection.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    with a fever I wouldn't do any exercise at all. if no fever then a walk.
  • MrsBradyBunch
    MrsBradyBunch Posts: 182 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Read and understood. Walking/light exercise it is, as long as my temp is low enough. Nothing heavy.

According to MedicineNet, a person with a cold is contagious from the day before the symptoms come on, until up to seven days after. If it's the flu, make that fourteen days. At this point, it's only a cold. I started feeling it yesterday, so I was contagious the day before. If all goes well, then after next Friday I should not be contagious anymore, and should be able to go back to the gym.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    It really depends. I’m type 1, and when I had the flu the end of February/early March, I was definitely unable to workout for at least a week — I didn’t have the stamina to do much of anything that wasn’t sleeping or staring into space. I still wasn’t feeling good up until about a week ago, and one of my PCP’s recommendations was to “consider” cutting back on my running, because she was concerned I was tearing myself down more.

Don’t set a timeline. Take it day by day and see how you feel.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,437 Member
    Options
    I was hospitalized in Jan. for the flu/pneumonia for 9 days...I came out with type 2 diabetes and COPD ( I quit smoking Jan. 2) Please take it easy
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we need to place limits for ourselves. We think we're invincible, but we aren't. Give your body time to heal, talk a pleasant walk, whatever you feel like doing that isn't taxing. I made the mistake of not understanding limits and I paid for it more than once.

I tried to run when I had a nasty bronchitis and I had to be taken to the hospital because I couldn't breathe. When I first started, I was happy that I gained enough fitness to be able to walk for more than 10 mintues, so I walked, and walked, and walked, and now 6 years later my achilles still flares up whenever I walk too much. I have permanently damaged my tendons.

Even years later I forget that I have limits. last week I tried to power through a very tough workout and I got a visual migraine. As much as I enjoy these and find them fascinating, nausea and extreme fatigue for the rest of the day are not pleasant. I should have known better because I know over-exertion is a major (almost only) trigger.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The general rule for exercising during illness is that if it’s all above the neck, it’s okay to go gently, but if there are symptoms below the neck (which includes fever) then rest.

I’m also diabetic. Flu is much more dangerous for diabetics, so please see a doctor immediately and get started on tamiflu if the doctor agrees that it’s flu. Tamiflu is only helpful if started within the first 48 hours so do NOT delay.

Even well controlled diabetes has an effect on how the immune system handles viruses and bacteria, for reasons which are not well understood yet but may have something to do with the way the body uses sugar when fighting off infection. Also, as you noticed, blood glucose control goes out the window during an illness due to stress hormones causing insulin resistance, and you may need additional medication when you’re ill.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to go to the gym, please wipe off everything you touch! I caught a cold from germs at the gym even though I am good about wiping stuff off before using it and not touching my mouth, eyes or nose until I’ve finished my workout and thoroughly washed my hands.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Right now I have just a slight cold, which means a bit of a sore throat, a little drippiness, and a low-grade temp. I'm diabetic, and my blood glucose spiked unexpectedly. That was the first sign of it. There is a flu going around, and I have been exposed to it since my sister and brother-in-law are hit very hard. Don't know what's going to develop over the next few days. Taking as many precautions as I can, such as eating right, hand washing, and sanitizing.

Are some forms of exercise safer than others? If this cold starts affecting my breathing, would strength training be OK if cardio isn't? Or are there any specific guidelines?

I only do it if I feel up to it.. plus if I've had it long enough that it's not contagious.. there is nothing more irritating than getting sick at the gym because some sick person wouldn't stay home.
  • MrsBradyBunch
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, everybody. I will be sure and wipe off the equipment when I go to the gym.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, everybody. I will be sure and wipe off the equipment when I go to the gym.

As cold and flu can be spread airborne as well as by touch, please just don't go to the gym. You can workout at home if you really feel the need to.
  • MrsBradyBunch
    Options
    To clarify, I meant I'll wipe off the equipment when I start going back to the gym. Until there is no more cold/flu in this house (my daughter has it now) I'm not going.